creating a data entry form

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Martin, May 27, 2004.

  1. Martin

    Martin Guest

    I want to build a data entry form for creating and updating info on
    something.

    When I'm first creating an item all the fields need to be editable. There
    after some fields become readonly. Most of these fields are text based, and
    I really want to have them appear as a label rather than a text box that is
    read only.

    I really want different behaviour for creation, edit and view. I guess I
    need to write a templated data-bound control.

    The DataList server control is a close match, but doesn't have sufficient
    templates for me.

    Is there an example of adding a template to a DataList Control?

    Any other advice?

    Thanks
    Martin
    Martin, May 27, 2004

  2. Hi Martin,

    is this what you are looking for ?

    http://samples.gotdotnet.com/quickstart/aspplus/doc/webdatalist.aspx

    Regards
    Ashish M Bhonkiya

    Ashish M Bhonkiya, May 27, 2004

  3. Martin

    Martin Guest

    Hi Ashish,

    I think I need more templates than the DataList control provides - I want
    distinct templates for create, edit and view. As far as I can tell DataList
    has templates for edit and view, but not create. My requirement is that
    some fields are only editable at create time, not subsequently.

    Martin

    Martin, May 27, 2004
  4. Hi Martin,

    AFIK, for adding the data you may need to have a seprate template to capture
    the input data
    Look here and leme know if this helps

    http://it.maconstate.edu/tutorials/ASPNET/ASPNET11/aspnet11-06.aspx

    Regards
    Ashish M Bhonkiya

    Ashish M Bhonkiya, May 27, 2004
  5. Martin

    Martin Guest

    I'm going to follow the suggestion from else where on this newsgroup to use
    the header or footer template

    Martin, May 27, 2004