creating a document on the server (MS Word doc)

tamaker

I have a registration form where a user is able to, upon submission of
the form, have their submission entered into a simple database... now
Im looking to create a word document on the fly from that submission
using this as a model to build from:
http://www.freevbcode.com/ShowCode.Asp?ID=1727

There are no errors generated but there is NO .DOC file created at all
either... Im not sure what Im doing wrong... any clue what I need to
change to get this to work?

heres the code:

' CREATE WORD DOCUMENT

Set WordApp = CreateObject("word.application")
Set WordDoc = WordApp.Documents.Add()

WordApp.Application.Visible = False

Set MyRange1 = WordDoc.Paragraphs.Add.Range
MyRange1.InsertBefore("Appraisal Form")
MyRange1.Style = "Heading 1"

Set MyRange1 = WordDoc.Paragraphs.Add.Range
MyRange1.InsertBefore("Manager: " & fname & vbcrlf & "Appraisee: "
& lname)
MyRange1.Font.Bold = true

Set MyRange1 = WordDoc.Paragraphs.Add.Range
MyRange1.InsertBefore(vbcrlf & "Please fill in all the required
sections and return to HR via the internal mail system.")

' Set the directory location to store the generated documents
WordDocPath = Server.MapPath("")
' Use the unique session ID as the filename.
WordDoc.SaveAs WordDocPath & "" & session.sessionID & ".doc"
WordDoc.Close
WordApp.Quit

Set WordDoc = Nothing
Set WordApp = Nothing

' EMAIL WORD DOCUMENT

'Set mailer = Server.CreateObject("ASPMAIL.ASPMailCtrl.1")
'recipient = Email
'sender = "(e-mail address removed)"
'subject = "Requested Form"
'message = "Please find the requested document attached."
'attach = WordDocPath & "\" & session.SessionID & ".doc"
'INSERT YOUR MAIL SERVER HERE
'mailserver = "xxx.xx.xx.xx"

'result = mailer.SMAttach(mailserver, recipient, sender, subject,
message, attach)

' DELETE WORD DOCUMENT FROM SERVER
'Set fso = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
'fso.DeleteFile(WordDocPath & "\" & session.SessionID & ".doc")

'Response.Write "The requested form will arrive in your inbox
(email) within a few minutes. Please complete and return to HR
asap."

'Response.Write "There has been an error sending the document to
you." & vbcrlf
'Response.Write "Right click the following link and select ""Save
Target As..."" to retrieve the word document." & vbcrlf & vbcrlf
Response.Write "<A href=""" & session.SessionID & ".doc"">Generated
Document</A>" & vbcrlf & vbcrlf

Mike Brind

tamaker said:
[...]

I assume there is more code than this in your file - I mean you have to
assign values to fname and lname. Have you got On error resume next
there too? Do you have Word installed on the machine on which you are
trying to create the document?

tamaker

Yes, the other facets (definition of variables, etc,) has exsisted for
years and works fine... I actually found out today that I was given the
wrong info and word does NOT exist on the server... so I ditched the
idea alltogether and am just sending out an HTML email message
dynamically to the registrants.

Thanks for the reply though.