    still being easy to use.

    Cheers
    Wade
    Wade Eyre, Nov 18, 2003

    Just use any graphics editor, e.g. The GIMP <http://www.gimp.org/>.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Toby A Inkster, Nov 18, 2003

  3. Wade Eyre

    Safalra Guest

    Toby A Inkster <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > Wade Eyre wrote:
    > > I have a few gifs like arrows and odd shaped boxes with angles that I would
    > > like to create but am really not sure whet product is the most robust while
    > > still being easy to use.

    > Just use any graphics editor, e.g. The GIMP <http://www.gimp.org/>.

    As the OP is posting from Outlook Express, he'll presumably want
    something for Windows, and the Windows version of GIMP doesn't save
    GIFs (that whole unisys thing...).

    Of course, it's probably a better idea to use PNGs rather than GIFs
    now, as the format has many advantages and there are very few users
    who can view GIFs but not PNGs.

    I've been using Paint Shop Pro, but because of the 30-day trial thing
    you'll need to find a copy of version 4 (due to a bug it keeps running
    even once the trial has expired - 'you are on day 1267 of your 30 day
    trial'...). And another bug means PNG transparency doesn't work. So
    maybe this is not a good recommendation after all...

    --- Stephen Morley ---
    http://www.safalra.com
    Safalra, Nov 18, 2003
  4. Wade Eyre

    Bob Long Guest

    In news:,
    Safalra <> typed:
    > Toby A Inkster <> wrote in message
    > > Wade Eyre wrote:
    > > > I have a few gifs like arrows and odd shaped boxes with angles
    > > > that I would
    > > > like to create but am really not sure whet product is the most
    > > > robust while
    > > > still being easy to use.

    > > Just use any graphics editor, e.g. The GIMP <http://www.gimp.org/>.

    > As the OP is posting from Outlook Express, he'll presumably want
    > something for Windows, and the Windows version of GIMP doesn't save
    > GIFs (that whole unisys thing...).

    It has a separate download of libraries that allows GIF operation.
    http://www2.arnes.si/~sopjsimo/gimp/

    Bob Long
    Bob Long, Nov 18, 2003
  5. Wade Eyre

    m Guest

    Wade Eyre wrote:
    > I am looking for some feedback and suggestions regarding possible gif (not
    > animated) creation products that webmasters might use.
    >
    > I have a few gifs like arrows and odd shaped boxes with angles that I would
    > like to create but am really not sure whet product is the most robust while
    > still being easy to use.

    Since you seem to be in W$ndoz,
    the simplest method would be to paint your
    images with W$ndoz Paint, then use something like
    IrfanView to convert them to gifs. The Gimp is
    a wonderful program, but might have a steep learning
    curve to do the simple kinds of things that I
    suspect you want to do.

    --
    Cheers, m at http://www.mbstevens.com/
    m, Nov 18, 2003
  6. Wade Eyre

    Frogleg Guest

    On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 13:03:48 GMT, m <>
    wrote:

    >Wade Eyre wrote:
    >> I am looking for some feedback and suggestions regarding possible gif (not
    >> animated) creation products that webmasters might use.
    >>
    >> I have a few gifs like arrows and odd shaped boxes with angles that I would
    >> like to create but am really not sure whet product is the most robust while
    >> still being easy to use.

    >Since you seem to be in W$ndoz,
    >the simplest method would be to paint your
    >images with W$ndoz Paint, then use something like
    >IrfanView to convert them to gifs. The Gimp is
    >a wonderful program, but might have a steep learning
    >curve to do the simple kinds of things that I
    >suspect you want to do.

    Windows 'Paint' can save in both .gif and .png formats.
    Frogleg, Nov 18, 2003
  7. Wade Eyre

    m Guest

    Frogleg wrote:
    > On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 13:03:48 GMT, m <>

    > Windows 'Paint' can save in both .gif and .png formats.

    Oh, good. It's about time they got around to saving
    to some other file formats from that thing.
    --
    Cheers, m
    m, Nov 18, 2003
  8. "Frogleg" <> schreef in bericht
    > On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 13:03:48 GMT, m <>
    > wrote:
    > Windows 'Paint' can save in both .gif and .png formats.

    Windows Paint??
    What version are you talking about?
    Current version on Win98SE only saves in bitmap formats.

    Regards,
    Samuël van Laere
    Samuël van Laere, Nov 18, 2003
  9. Wade Eyre

    Dan Guest

    On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 15:26:41 GMT, Frogleg <>
    wrote...
    | Windows 'Paint' can save in both .gif and .png formats.

    Only if you have installed certain versions of MSOffice (which
    modifies the filters which Paint uses to read and save files).

    - return address is altered slightly to reduce spam.
    Dan, Nov 18, 2003
  10. Wade Eyre

    Dan Guest

    On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 21:42:26 +1000, "Bob Long"
    <> wrote...
    | It has a separate download of libraries that allows GIF operation.

    Since the OP had a Canadian address, it is probably worth noting that
    It is still illegal in Canada, much of Europe or Japan to distribute
    unlicensed free software which includes the patented compression used
    in GIF's (see http://www.unisys.com/about__unisys/lzw/ for info).
    Better to use a product licensed to do GIF (Photoshop, Imageforge,
    Paintshop, or even MSOffice).

    - return address is altered slightly to reduce spam.
    Dan, Nov 18, 2003
  11. Wade Eyre

    Roseb441702 Guest

    For .gifs I use Paint Shop Pro's Animation Program that comes with it. You may
    be able to find an older version of it online or you might be able to find some
    kind of free .gif animation program if you search online.

    Rose
    ******
    Not getting enough traffic to your website?
    Visit my "ShoutOut" page at:

    http://members.aol.com/Roseb441702/shoutout.htm
    Roseb441702, Nov 20, 2003