Creating a gif

Wade Eyre

I am looking for some feedback and suggestions regarding possible gif (not
animated) creation products that webmasters might use.

I have a few gifs like arrows and odd shaped boxes with angles that I would
like to create but am really not sure whet product is the most robust while
still being easy to use.

Cheers
Wade

Toby A Inkster

Wade said:
I have a few gifs like arrows and odd shaped boxes with angles that I would
like to create but am really not sure whet product is the most robust while
still being easy to use.

Just use any graphics editor, e.g. The GIMP <http://www.gimp.org/>.

Safalra

Toby A Inkster said:
Just use any graphics editor, e.g. The GIMP <http://www.gimp.org/>.

As the OP is posting from Outlook Express, he'll presumably want
something for Windows, and the Windows version of GIMP doesn't save
GIFs (that whole unisys thing...).

Of course, it's probably a better idea to use PNGs rather than GIFs
now, as the format has many advantages and there are very few users
who can view GIFs but not PNGs.

I've been using Paint Shop Pro, but because of the 30-day trial thing
you'll need to find a copy of version 4 (due to a bug it keeps running
even once the trial has expired - 'you are on day 1267 of your 30 day
trial'...). And another bug means PNG transparency doesn't work. So
maybe this is not a good recommendation after all...

--- Stephen Morley ---
http://www.safalra.com

Wade said:
I am looking for some feedback and suggestions regarding possible gif (not
animated) creation products that webmasters might use.

I have a few gifs like arrows and odd shaped boxes with angles that I would
like to create but am really not sure whet product is the most robust while
still being easy to use.

Since you seem to be in W$ndoz,
the simplest method would be to paint your
images with W$ndoz Paint, then use something like
IrfanView to convert them to gifs. The Gimp is
a wonderful program, but might have a steep learning
curve to do the simple kinds of things that I
suspect you want to do.

Frogleg

Since you seem to be in W$ndoz,
the simplest method would be to paint your
images with W$ndoz Paint, then use something like
IrfanView to convert them to gifs. The Gimp is
a wonderful program, but might have a steep learning
curve to do the simple kinds of things that I
suspect you want to do.

Windows 'Paint' can save in both .gif and .png formats.

Samuël van Laere

Frogleg said:
Windows 'Paint' can save in both .gif and .png formats.

Windows Paint??
What version are you talking about?
Current version on Win98SE only saves in bitmap formats.

Regards,
Samuël van Laere

Dan

| Windows 'Paint' can save in both .gif and .png formats.

Only if you have installed certain versions of MSOffice (which
modifies the filters which Paint uses to read and save files).

- return address is altered slightly to reduce spam.

Dan

On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 21:42:26 +1000, "Bob Long"
| It has a separate download of libraries that allows GIF operation.

Since the OP had a Canadian address, it is probably worth noting that
It is still illegal in Canada, much of Europe or Japan to distribute
unlicensed free software which includes the patented compression used
in GIF's (see http://www.unisys.com/about__unisys/lzw/ for info).
Better to use a product licensed to do GIF (Photoshop, Imageforge,
Paintshop, or even MSOffice).

- return address is altered slightly to reduce spam.

Roseb441702

For .gifs I use Paint Shop Pro's Animation Program that comes with it. You may
be able to find an older version of it online or you might be able to find some
kind of free .gif animation program if you search online.

Rose
******
Not getting enough traffic to your website?
Visit my "ShoutOut" page at:

http://members.aol.com/Roseb441702/shoutout.htm