Creating a mac-coded text file

Tomas Eklund

Using: Classic ASP, File System Object, IIS

Once a day my ASP script compiles some data into a csv/text file which is sent
by e-mail to the customer. This file is then imported into a FileMaker database
on the client's computer. The client uses a Macintosh system.

The problem is that on import into FileMaker most characters besides a-z aren't
handled correctly because of the conflict in character encoding between the
Windows web server and the client's Macintosh system.

I am not involved in anything that has to do with the client's computer or
database systems, just the web site. I tried letting the script generate Unicode
encoded files but that created other problems with the import script they used.

So I basically need to figure out a way to create the file (using the File
System Object) with Macintosh encoding. But I can't find out how to accomplish
this.

I have also tried a workaround involving replacing the most frequently used
accented characters (from Windows to Macintosh encoding) using code like this:

str = str.replace(/\xE5/gm, String.fromCharCode(0x8C));

But the File System Objects generates an error when I try to write str to the
text file.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.