    couldn't do that for example.

    Thank you,
    Gabriel

    Gabriel Rossetti, Oct 17, 2008

  2. > I like to create a cross-platform standalone python application, like
    > Mac OS *.app dirs. The idea is to distribute a zip file containing
    > everything (the python interpreter and all) so that a user just unzips
    > it and runs it.

    I don't think this can possibly work. If the zipfile contains the Python
    interpreter, it can't possibly work on all platforms - the Python
    interpreter is run as native machine code of the respective CPU.

    So either you drop the requirement that the zipfile must be
    cross-platform, or you drop the requirement that the Python interpreter
    is included in the zipfile.

    Notice that Mac OS *.app dirs are *not* cross-platform, either - they
    only work on Mac OS.

    Regards,
    Martin

    Martin v. Löwis, Oct 17, 2008

  3. Martin v. Löwis wrote:
    >> I like to create a cross-platform standalone python application, like
    >> Mac OS *.app dirs. The idea is to distribute a zip file containing
    >> everything (the python interpreter and all) so that a user just unzips
    >> it and runs it.
    >>

    > I don't think this can possibly work. If the zipfile contains the Python
    > interpreter, it can't possibly work on all platforms - the Python
    > interpreter is run as native machine code of the respective CPU.

    yes, I know that :), I ment everything that can be, my problem is more
    with PYTHONPATH and stuff like that.
    > So either you drop the requirement that the zipfile must be
    > cross-platform, or you drop the requirement that the Python interpreter
    > is included in the zipfile.
    >
    > Notice that Mac OS *.app dirs are *not* cross-platform, either - they
    > only work on Mac OS.

    Yes, I also know that, I was giving them as an example of how I'd like
    it to work (out of the box)
    > Regards,
    > Martin

    Regards,
    Gabriel

    Gabriel Rossetti, Oct 23, 2008
  4. > yes, I know that :), I ment everything that can be, my problem is more
    > with PYTHONPATH and stuff like that.

    Then I don't understand what you meant. What is it (specifically!) that
    you do, what happens, what do you want to happen instead?

    Regards,
    Martin

    Martin v. Löwis, Oct 23, 2008
  5. On Oct 17, 1:59 am, Gabriel Rossetti <>
    wrote:
    > Hello everyone,
    >
    > I like to create a cross-platform standalone python application, like
    > Mac OS *.app dirs. The idea is to distribute a zip file containing
    > everything (the python interpreter and all) so that a user just unzips
    > it and runs it. Has anyone ever done anything like that? I searched
    > google but didn't find anything really, and currently, even in my dev
    > env, I have to set the PYTHONPATH manually, and for a standalone app I
    > couldn't do that for example.
    >
    > Thank you,
    > Gabriel

    Use GUI2Exe. It can create frozen distributions for Mac, Windows and
    Linux using py2exe, py2app, cxFreeze, etc.

    Check it out here: http://code.google.com/p/gui2exe/

    You will (of course) need to have py2exe et al installed if you want
    GUI2Exe to interface with them.

    Mike

    Mike Driscoll, Oct 23, 2008