CSS font control

Martie

Been trying to find a way to set a range of acceptable font sizes using CSS.
Problem is I have several people that are using web page templates to create
pages, but they're very limit with font control due to the CSS settins.

I've tried defining separate font characteristics for the body and table tags,
but what if they need several sized fonts for different tables? Since they'd be
using an editor like FrontPage, they'd be entering their text into a template
and saving it as a new file. If they try to adjust the fonts from the toolbar,
they don't work because of the style sheet settings.

They're not interested in viewing and modifying HTML code, so I'm not sure of
the best way to give them some flexibility in that area?

arbpen

Martie wote:
Been trying to find a way to set a range of acceptable font sizes using CSS.
Problem is I have several people that are using web page templates to create
pages, but they're very limit with font control due to the CSS settins.

I've tried defining separate font characteristics for the body and table tags,
but what if they need several sized fonts for different tables? Since they'd be
using an editor like FrontPage, they'd be entering their text into a template
and saving it as a new file. If they try to adjust the fonts from the toolbar,
they don't work because of the style sheet settings.

They're not interested in viewing and modifying HTML code, so I'm not sure of
the best way to give them some flexibility in that area?

To be perfectly honest with you, there isn't much you can do if they're
using an editor like Front Page. FYI, deprecated elements _do_
override style declaration, eg:

p {font-family: serif;
color: red
}
</head>
green</font>.</p>

Will indeed be green, not red.

What you might be able to do, however, is run the document through Tidy
and remove such elements. Then, your stylesheet might just stand a
chance.

Neredbojias

To further the education of mankind, Martie
Been trying to find a way to set a range of acceptable font sizes
using CSS. Problem is I have several people that are using web page
templates to create pages, but they're very limit with font control
due to the CSS settins.

I've tried defining separate font characteristics for the body and
table tags, but what if they need several sized fonts for different
tables? Since they'd be using an editor like FrontPage, they'd be
entering their text into a template and saving it as a new file. If
they try to adjust the fonts from the toolbar, they don't work because
of the style sheet settings.

They're not interested in viewing and modifying HTML code, so I'm not
sure of the best way to give them some flexibility in that area?

It's simple. Do nothing. Anything else will simply limit the maximum
flexibility they already have.

Toby Inkster

arbpen said:
To be perfectly honest with you, there isn't much you can do if they're
using an editor like Front Page. FYI, deprecated elements _do_
override style declaration

No they don't.
p {font-family: serif;
color: red
}
</head>
green</font>.</p>

Will indeed be green, not red.

True, but this will be red:

FONT { color: red }
</head>
red</font>.</p>

Neredbojias

To be perfectly honest with you, there isn't much you can do if
they're using an editor like Front Page. FYI, deprecated elements
_do_ override style declaration, eg:

p {font-family: serif;
color: red
}