    paragraph and the overflow:auto is generating a scrollbar when the content
    exceeds the length of the content area.
    So can you change the colours of this scrollbar?
    longroad, Jun 2, 2004

  2. longroad

    Neal Guest

    On Wed, 2 Jun 2004 16:03:40 +1000, longroad <> wrote:

    > So can you change the colours of this scrollbar?

    Not with proper CSS.
    Neal, Jun 2, 2004

  3. longroad

    Mark Parnell Guest

    On Wed, 2 Jun 2004 16:03:40 +1000, "longroad" <> declared
    in alt.html:

    > my question is, when it generates a scrollbar, is it possible to customise
    > this scrollbar?

    No. Scrollbars are part of the OS, not your web site.

    > I know this can be done when using a textarea

    Not on my browser.

    --
    Mark Parnell
    http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au
    Mark Parnell, Jun 2, 2004
  4. longroad

    brucie Guest

    in post: <news:40bd6dbb$0$13784$>
    longroad <> said:

    > Im using the overflow:auto property in my css

    after careful consideration of whether you should or not i'm sure.

    > when it generates a scrollbar, is it possible to customise this
    > scrollbar?

    a scrollbar needs to look like a scrollbar so it can be instantly
    recognized and used if needed. you don't and cant know what the visitors
    scrollbars should look like. don't screw around with them.

    > I know this can be done when using a textarea,

    not with my browsers.

    --
    b r u c i e
    brucie, Jun 2, 2004
  5. longroad

    longroad Guest

    "brucie" <> wrote in message

    > > Im using the overflow:auto property in my css

    > after careful consideration of whether you should or not i'm sure.

    I didnt want my entire site stretching with content. What reasons do you
    have against not using it?
    Im not having a problem with it in netscape/mozilla, but it was working in
    IE and netscape before..

    > > when it generates a scrollbar, is it possible to customise this
    > > scrollbar?

    > a scrollbar needs to look like a scrollbar so it can be instantly
    > recognized and used if needed. you don't and cant know what the visitors
    > scrollbars should look like. don't screw around with them.

    when I said customise I only meant change its colour, as in what you can do
    with textarea scrollbar. i should have made that more clear
    longroad, Jun 2, 2004
  6. longroad

    brucie Guest

    in post: <news:40bd945b$0$3037$>
    longroad <> said:

    >>> Im using the overflow:auto property in my css

    >> after careful consideration of whether you should or not i'm sure.

    > I didnt want my entire site stretching with content.

    that may not be such a good idea

    > What reasons do you have against not using it?

    its a case by case basis. the browser already has two scrollbars built
    in when you add more you make the site more difficult to use and usually
    its a poor design decision which wastes the visitors canvas area.

    > when I said customise I only meant change its colour,

    ok, just don't use #FEEDF0, #EFEBE2, #D6F5D8 or #F5D6E0 or the scrollbar
    will be invisible with my browsers. you'll have to check with everyone
    else to see what colors they don't want you to use.

    --
    b r u c i e
    brucie, Jun 2, 2004
  7. Quoth the raven longroad:

    > when I said customise I only meant change its colour, as in what
    > you can do with textarea scrollbar. i should have made that more
    > clear

    My eyes/brain are geared for grey scrollbars. If you change it to
    puce, I'll never see it. And don't forget there are colorblind people
    reading the www, who may have custom colors set for their GUI.

    Aside: overflow: auto won't work in some browsers.

    --
    -bts
    -This space intentionally left blank.
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jun 2, 2004
  8. longroad wrote:

    > when I said customise I only meant change its colour, as in what you can do
    > with textarea scrollbar. i should have made that more clear

    Making it transparent would be really stupid.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Toby A Inkster, Jun 2, 2004
  9. longroad

    Mabden Guest

    "brucie" <> wrote in message
    > in post: <news:40bd945b$0$3037$>
    > longroad <> said:

    > > when I said customise I only meant change its colour,

    > ok, just don't use #FEEDF0, #EFEBE2, #D6F5D8 or #F5D6E0 or the scrollbar
    > will be invisible with my browsers. you'll have to check with everyone
    > else to see what colors they don't want you to use.

    I don't like hot pink or baby-shit brown. Or taupe. I really don't know what
    taupe is, but I don't the sound of it...

    --
    Mabden
    Mabden, Jun 3, 2004