    great. I do plan to take the time to learn the nuances of CSS eventually.
    Also if you have any ideas beside CSS of how this can be done would be cool
    too. Thanks!

    Laura, Apr 10, 2006

  2. Laura

    Neredbojias Guest

    To further the education of mankind, "Laura" <>
    declaimed:

    > Hi, I have posted before with problems using templates in DW. I was
    > wondering if the same exact effect I ant can be done through CSS
    > without too much of a learning curve.

    That's an ambiguous question. Yes, it can be done with css, but you have
    to learn it to do it.

    > I love learning new things but
    > eight now I am under a deadline of sorts

    Aren't we all... Dreamweaver to the rescue!

    > I basically want to set the
    > background image, banners or announcements at the top, and a left side
    > navigation bar, and leave the rest of the page editable for different
    > pages.

    That's common enough. Lots of people do it. All the time.

    > Here is an example of what I want. The top and left are
    > currently made with a template. The rest is an editable region in the
    > template that changes for each page.
    > http://paranormal.oddlongisland.com Any help with easy to learn
    > tutorials, links, or step by steps would be great.

    Well, I don't really know of any easy-to-learn aids because whatever I
    know I learned by experimenting/doing it and checking the normative
    references or getting advice here. This is said not to denegrate those
    tutorials "out there" which are actually helpful; I'm just not familiar
    with any, myself. On the bright side, there are many posters in this
    group who have caches of very good links and some will probably be along
    soon to assist.

    > I do plan to take
    > the time to learn the nuances of CSS eventually.

    There's no substitute for knowing what you're doing.

    > Also if you have any
    > ideas beside CSS of how this can be done would be cool too.

    Css isn't the whole story, and, in conjunction with the various browsers,
    "anomalies" are not unknown. But if you already grasp html decently, I'd
    recommend learning css as the next step.

    > Thanks!

    Whey BN.

    --
    Neredbojias
    Infinity can have limits.

    Neredbojias, Apr 10, 2006

  3. Laura

    Colin Wilson Guest

    You may find the style assistant at:
    http://www.styleassistant.de/
    useful. The site is in German but you should be able to figure out what is
    going on quite easily.

    Style Assistant is a downloadable program (which you install on your
    computer) and works well.

    It is some time since I downloaded it, but from memory it does not have a
    proper installation program so you have to do that part by hand yourself.

    Colin Wilson, Apr 13, 2006