Curses module.

Alex

Hello all,

I'm trying to learn Python, in particular the curses module. My system
is running Slackware 9.0 and the verion of Python that comes installed
with Slackware 9.0 is Python 2.2.2.

I've been trying to access the curses.wrapper module without any
success. I know that the wrapper exists in /usr/lib/python2.2/curses yet
any reference that I make to it is rebuffed by the interpreter.

Here's the python script I'm trying to run:

Code:
#!/usr/bin/python
#
# My first attempts at writing a curses interface using python

import curses

def newWindow():
	begin_x = 20 ; begin_y = 7
	height = 5 ; width = 40
	win = curses.newwin(height, width, begin_y, begin_x)
	return

# Pass the function to the curses wrapper

curses.wrapper(newWindow())

This is the error message that I get when I try to run the script from
the CLI:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "./curses3.py", line 15, in ?
curses.wrapper(newWindow())
AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'wrapper'

Any ideas as to what I could be doing wrong?

Alex the Python Newbie

Jp Calderone

Hello all,

I'm trying to learn Python, in particular the curses module. My system
is running Slackware 9.0 and the verion of Python that comes installed
with Slackware 9.0 is Python 2.2.2.

I've been trying to access the curses.wrapper module without any
success. I know that the wrapper exists in /usr/lib/python2.2/curses yet
any reference that I make to it is rebuffed by the interpreter.

Here's the python script I'm trying to run:

[snip apparently correct code]

This is the error message that I get when I try to run the script from
the CLI:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "./curses3.py", line 15, in ?
curses.wrapper(newWindow())
AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'wrapper'

Any ideas as to what I could be doing wrong?

Do you, perhaps, have a file named "curses.py" in your current directory?
If so, "import curses" will load this, and not the stdlib module.

You could also try printing "curses.__file__" to make sure the module is
really coming from where you believe it is.

Jp

Alex

You were both correct.

I simply had to get rid on the curses.py program (my first test program)
and everything worked fine.

Thanks again for the help. I can get down to some serious
learning/hair-pulling frustration :)

Alex