curses module

Kenneth McDonald

I know that the curses module has a long-standing bug wherein cursor
visibility can't be set. I'm looking at using the module for certain
uses, and this isn't a problems (as long as I hide the cursor offscreen)
as I would control visuals to provide a simulated cursor anyway. I'm
wondering, though, if there are any other elements of the curses module
I should be aware of before I commit to it, i.e. bugs that could cause
serious difficulties at some point.

This isn't criticism, I just know that the curses module is the sort of
thing that probably isn't being maintained consistently, and I for one,
have no idea how well all the new terms in common use maintain the sort
of backwards compatibility python curses will need to do its job.

Thanks,
Ken

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22Martin_v=2E_L=F6wis=22?=

Kenneth said:
I know that the curses module has a long-standing bug wherein cursor
visibility can't be set.

This isn't criticism, I just know that the curses module is the sort of
thing that probably isn't being maintained consistently, and I for one,
have no idea how well all the new terms in common use maintain the sort
of backwards compatibility python curses will need to do its job.

This isn't criticism either, but... if you know it has a long-standing
bug, why didn't you submit a patch yet? If you had submitted one for
Python 2.1 (say), the problem wouldn't be relevant today. If you submit
one today, the problem won't be relevant for Python 2.8, or Python 3.0.

Regards,
Martin