custom 404s

greenvelvet

I have long used .htaccess for custom 404s. But now I've a question I can't
find an answer to.

A friend's website resides in a particular directory on my site. His site is
completely unrelated to mine. Yet, because I have a custom 404, those
getting a 404 from his part of the site, still land on the 404 page for the
main site.

My question is, is it possible to have a separate 404 just for his
directory? If so, what will I put in my .htaccess file?

Thanks so much!
~velvet~

Leif K-Brooks

greenvelvet said:
A friend's website resides in a particular directory on my site. His site is
completely unrelated to mine. Yet, because I have a custom 404, those
getting a 404 from his part of the site, still land on the 404 page for the
main site.

My question is, is it possible to have a separate 404 just for his
directory? If so, what will I put in my .htaccess file?

Put a separate .htaccess file in his directory and define a 404 page there.

greenvelvet

Leif K-Brooks said:
Put a separate .htaccess file in his directory and define a 404 page
there.

ah! thanks! I didn't realize I could have more than one .htaccess file for
the site.

~velvet~

Alan J. Flavell

ah! thanks! I didn't realize I could have more than one .htaccess
file for the site.

Each .htaccess takes effect for the subdirectory which it's in and
for any which are below it - unless, obviously, there's a .htaccess in
the lower level subdirectory which says something different.

have fun

greenvelvet

Alan J. Flavell said:
Each .htaccess takes effect for the subdirectory which it's in and
for any which are below it - unless, obviously, there's a .htaccess in
the lower level subdirectory which says something different.

have fun

Thanks Alan! this is such a good thing to know ~~~

cheers ~
~velvet~