Custom Error Pages

Discussion in 'HTML' started by David Segall, Jul 21, 2009.

  1. David Segall

    David Segall Guest

    In what circumstances do you provide a custom 404 error page for your
    site? What do you say?

    I think that it is better to let the browser tell the user they are
    careless rather than telling them yourself as Amazon does
    <http://amazon.com/not_there>. Adrienne Boswell appears to agree with
    me <http://www.cavalcade-of-coding.info/not_there> and does not
    provide a custom error page. At the other extreme Jukka Korpela
    <http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/not_there> gives you a list of reasons
    why you may have arrived at his error page. He offers to help by
    giving you contact information or searching his site. Jonathan Little
    <http://www.littleworksstudio.com/not_there> does a clever spell check
    on the URL.

    I would prefer to see the site home page menus on the error page but
    none of the sites I have mentioned do that. As explained in a separate
    thread I have been obliged to provide a custom 404 page (e.g.
    <http://profectus.asia/not_there>) for a couple of my sites although I
    would rather let the visitor's browser give them the bad news.

    David Segall, Jul 21, 2009

  2. David Segall wrote:

    > I would prefer to see the site home page menus on the error page but
    > none of the sites I have mentioned do that. As explained in a separate
    > thread I have been obliged to provide a custom 404 page (e.g.
    > <http://profectus.asia/not_there>) for a couple of my sites although I
    > would rather let the visitor's browser give them the bad news.

    1) As explained also in the other thread, your browser does *not* handle
    the error, it *only* displays what the *server* send it. It is the
    *server* that sends the 404 message, which is either the page that your
    hosting has setup or one that you provide.

    2) If you have different sites and you want different 404 pages then set
    one up for each.

    3) The only internal browser error page (which I think you are confused
    by) is the one for when your network connected is down.

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

    Jonathan N. Little, Jul 21, 2009

  3. Gazing into my crystal ball I observed David Segall <>
    writing in news::

    > Adrienne Boswell appears to agree with
    > me <http://www.cavalcade-of-coding.info/not_there> and does not
    > provide a custom error page.

    That's only because I've never gotten around to doing it - for myself. For
    my clients, I almost always do a 404 page. For example:
    [http://csslr.adrienneboswell.com/index9.php]

    --
    Adrienne Boswell at Home
    Arbpen Web Site Design Services

    Adrienne Boswell, Jul 21, 2009
  4. David Segall

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>, Ed Mullen <>
    wrote:

    > David Segall wrote:
    > > In what circumstances do you provide a custom 404 error page for your
    > > site? What do you say?

    > I much prefer to see a custom error page when I visit other sites and
    > for my site too. It just seems, well, more professional and friendly I
    > guess. Hence, I use custom pages for 300, 401, 403 and 404 errors.
    >
    > > I would prefer to see the site home page menus on the error page but
    > > none of the sites I have mentioned do that.

    > http://edmullen.net/not_there.html
    > http://edmullen.net/index.html
    > http://edmullen.net/media/
    > http://edmullen.net/temp/

    Yes, these strike a friendly and helpful tone. Only the witch from the
    Hansel and Gretel would find anything to be displeased about.

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Jul 22, 2009
  5. David Segall

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>, Ed Mullen <>
    wrote:

    > > Yes, these strike a friendly and helpful tone. Only the witch from the
    > > Hansel and Gretel would find anything to be displeased about.

    > Yeah, well, screw her!
    >
    > Umm, on second thought ...

    I never thought of you as that desperate. But... you learn something
    every day on usenet. <g>

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Jul 22, 2009
  6. David Segall

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>, Ed Mullen <>
    wrote:

    > I was doing some
    > testing on my site and tested in IE7. It did not display my custom
    > error page. Hmmm. After some searching I found numerous links about
    > this. The Wikipedia article is decent and succinct:
    >
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTTP_404

    The article excludes IE 7 from this behaviour:

    "Internet Explorer (before Internet Explorer 7), however, will not
    display custom pages unless they are larger than 512 bytes, opting to
    instead display a "friendly" error page. This default behaviour can be
    changed under Tools | Internet Options by clicking on the Advanced tab
    and un-checking the "Show friendly HTTP error messages" check box."

    But you had trouble in IE7. You better amend the article, Ed.

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Jul 23, 2009
  7. David Segall

    David Segall Guest

    Adrienne Boswell <> wrote:

    >Gazing into my crystal ball I observed David Segall <>
    >writing in news::
    >
    >> Adrienne Boswell appears to agree with
    >> me <http://www.cavalcade-of-coding.info/not_there> and does not
    >> provide a custom error page.

    >That's only because I've never gotten around to doing it - for myself.

    I'm sorry. I did not intend to draw attention to the absence of the
    cobbler's children's shoes.
    > For
    >my clients, I almost always do a 404 page. For example:
    >[http://csslr.adrienneboswell.com/index9.php]

    And it deserves a prize for charming 404 pages.

    David Segall, Jul 23, 2009
  8. David Segall

    John Hosking Guest

    On Thu, 23 Jul 2009 08:18:48 GMT, David Segall wrote:

    > Adrienne Boswell <> wrote:
    >
    >> For
    >>my clients, I almost always do a 404 page. For example:
    >>[http://csslr.adrienneboswell.com/index9.php]

    > And it deserves a prize for charming 404 pages.

    I thought you might be being sarcastic, since when I viewed Adrienne's page
    a few days ago, I thought it to be the most unhelpful and useless excuse
    for a 404 page I'd ever seen. I didn't say anything, though, since I didn't
    want to bash the helpful and friendly Adrienne. I also suspected I wasn't
    seeing what I was supposed to see.

    And lo! Her 404 page is indeed different now, and also useful, and yea,
    verily charming.

    What I originally saw was something like this:

    ++++++++

    PHP Error Message

    Warning: require(nav_inc.php) [function.require]: failed to open stream: No
    such file or directory in /home/a4746384/public_html/csslr/header_inc.php
    on line 2

    Free Web Hosting

    PHP Error Message

    Fatal error: require() [function.require]: Failed opening required
    'nav_inc.php' (include_path='.:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php') in
    /home/a4746384/public_html/csslr/header_inc.php on line 2

    Free Web Hosting

    ++++++++

    It's looking much better now. ;-)

    --
    John

    John Hosking, Jul 23, 2009
  9. David Segall

    Neredbojias Guest

    On 22 Jul 2009, Ed Mullen <> wrote:

    > Tested in IE7, yes. I made the error files HUGE, like 200Kb. No
    > effect.
    > The only way I could get IE to "respect" the convention was to
    > change
    > the option as described. Perhaps there was som cache involvement
    > but, frankly, should I have to be trouble-shooting this at all?
    >
    > I am not a Microsoft basher by any means, I actually like and respect
    > their efforts (hell, for all I know I may own MS stock ... sorry, I'd
    > have to dig for that info). Still, this is beyond the pale. Highly
    > negative. I find rising many expletives which would have to be
    > deleted.
    >
    > Ooooh! Look at that random sig entry below! Cute! Serendipity!!!
    >
    > Still. What's up with this? Geez. No wonder people hate MS.

    The trouble with Microsoft is that they are flabbergasted when you
    don't want what they want you to want and cause them the trouble of
    concocting something else they want you to want in lieu of their
    initial desire-surrogate. This can stack-up arithmatically to such
    proportions that they forget what they originally wanted themselves.

    --
    Neredbojias
    http://www.neredbojias.org/

    Neredbojias, Jul 23, 2009
  10. David Segall

    David Segall Guest

    John Hosking <> wrote:

    >On Thu, 23 Jul 2009 08:18:48 GMT, David Segall wrote:
    >
    >> Adrienne Boswell <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> For
    >>>my clients, I almost always do a 404 page. For example:
    >>>[http://csslr.adrienneboswell.com/index9.php]

    >> And it deserves a prize for charming 404 pages.

    >I thought you might be being sarcastic, since when I viewed Adrienne's page
    >a few days ago, I thought it to be the most unhelpful and useless excuse
    >for a 404 page I'd ever seen. I didn't say anything, though, since I didn't
    >want to bash the helpful and friendly Adrienne. I also suspected I wasn't
    >seeing what I was supposed to see.
    >
    >And lo! Her 404 page is indeed different now, and also useful, and yea,
    >verily charming.
    >

    >What I originally saw was something like this:
    >
    >++++++++
    >
    >PHP Error Message
    >
    >Warning: require(nav_inc.php) [function.require]: failed to open stream: No
    >such file or directory in /home/a4746384/public_html/csslr/header_inc.php
    >on line 2
    >
    >Free Web Hosting
    >
    >PHP Error Message
    >
    >Fatal error: require() [function.require]: Failed opening required
    >'nav_inc.php' (include_path='.:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php') in
    >/home/a4746384/public_html/csslr/header_inc.php on line 2
    >
    >Free Web Hosting
    >
    >++++++++
    >
    >It's looking much better now. ;-)

    You have provided another reason for letting the server deal with
    errors. The server's response has been thoroughly tested in most
    circumstances and in most browsers.

    Please note, gentle reader, that I have learned my lesson and used
    "server" in the preceding sentence, not "browser".

    David Segall, Jul 23, 2009
  11. Ed Mullen wrote:

    > Tested in IE7, yes. I made the error files HUGE, like 200Kb. No
    > effect. The only way I could get IE to "respect" the convention was
    > to change the option as described.

    URL?

    IE is known for making second-guesses on protocol issues, such as 404 error
    pages that it regards as "too unhelpful", read "too small". Are you
    seriously saying that it does that for 200 kilobytes error pages too? Then
    you really need to provide a URL.

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

    Jukka K. Korpela, Jul 25, 2009
  12. Ed Mullen wrote:

    >> IE is known for making second-guesses on protocol issues, such as 404
    >> error pages that it regards as "too unhelpful", read "too small". Are
    >> you seriously saying that it does that for 200 kilobytes error pages
    >> too? Then you really need to provide a URL.

    > No I don't.

    There was an implicit reservation "if you wish to be the least constructive
    in the discussion and not just disturbing noise" in my statement. Sorry to
    have omitted it.

    > If you doubt my veracity then YOU test it yourself.

    I don't know what "veracity" means, especially in your language, and I don't
    really care.

    You made a statement about a browser's behavior in a particular case and
    refused to provide a URL of a test document of yours - a test document that
    would cause IE 7 to behave in a manner different from all other experience
    that I have seen published so far, as well as from Microsoft's
    documentation.

    This seems to rank you as a nuisance and reduces your credibility somewhat
    below zero.

    However, hopelessly optimistic and philanthropic as I am, I took the trouble
    of doing your job and observed that for example
    http://edmullen.net/foobar
    results in IE's own error message to be displayed on IE 8 when the browser
    is set to use "friendly" HTTP error messages, i.e. suppress error page in
    favor of IE's own.

    However, with the same browser settings, I have no problems in getting error
    pages sent by servers displayed, instead of being overridden by IE messages.
    I checked the registry*) to verify that ErrorThreshold for 404 is set to 512
    (bytes), presumably the factory setting.

    Thus, this seems to be a problem with _your_ error handling, in the majority
    of browsing situations, so _you_ should be interested in studying it. Maybe
    there is something either in the HTTP headers or in the error document that
    makes IE treat it as shorter than it actually as. I could have more sympathy
    and willingness to help if you had not so strongly resisted attempts at
    being helped.

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

    Jukka K. Korpela, Jul 26, 2009
  13. Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
    > Ed Mullen wrote:

    >> If you doubt my veracity then YOU test it yourself.

    > I don't know what "veracity" means, especially in your language, and I
    > don't really care.

    <lesson type="vocabulary" lang="en">

    veracity:

    The adherence to the truth, or the truthfulness of something.

    </lesson>

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

    Jonathan N. Little, Jul 26, 2009
  14. David Segall

    dorayme Guest

    In article <h4hv1j$5g7$-september.org>,
    "Jonathan N. Little" <> wrote:

    > Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
    > > Ed Mullen wrote:

    > >> If you doubt my veracity then YOU test it yourself.

    > > I don't know what "veracity" means, especially in your language, and I
    > > don't really care.

    > <lesson type="vocabulary" lang="en">
    >
    > veracity:
    >
    > The adherence to the truth, or the truthfulness of something.
    >
    > </lesson>

    <lesson type="babbleAvoidence" lang="simpleTalk">

    doubt my veracity:

    doubt me

    </lesson>

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Jul 26, 2009
  15. dorayme wrote:
    > In article <h4hv1j$5g7$-september.org>,
    > "Jonathan N. Little" <> wrote:
    >
    >> Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
    >>> I don't know what "veracity" means, especially in your language, and I
    >>> don't really care.

    >> <lesson type="vocabulary" lang="en">
    >>
    >> veracity:
    >>
    >> The adherence to the truth, or the truthfulness of something.
    >>
    >> </lesson>

    > <lesson type="babbleAvoidence" lang="simpleTalk">
    >
    > doubt my veracity:
    >
    > doubt me
    >
    > </lesson>

    Just having some fun...was a ;-) required?

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

    Jonathan N. Little, Jul 27, 2009
  16. David Segall

    dorayme Guest

    In article <h4ir2d$gkp$-september.org>,
    "Jonathan N. Little" <> wrote:

    > dorayme wrote:
    > > In article <h4hv1j$5g7$-september.org>,

    > >> <lesson type="vocabulary" lang="en">
    > >>
    > >> veracity:
    > >>
    > >> The adherence to the truth, or the truthfulness of something.
    > >>
    > >> </lesson>

    > > <lesson type="babbleAvoidence" lang="simpleTalk">
    > >
    > > doubt my veracity:
    > >
    > > doubt me
    > >
    > > </lesson>
    > >

    > Just having some fun...was a ;-) required?

    No, I was just adding to the fun. I know what yours meant. Mine was
    about a simpler way of saying what Ed said. I hope he did not mind! <g>

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Jul 27, 2009
  17. David Segall

    askbargains

    Joined:
    Jul 17, 2009
    Messages:
    3
    1) if you want to have a friendly UI when the Error happen in your page, you can use the customer Error page ( 404 error)

    2) I suggest you read this article
    in the smashingmagazine website ( just serach the "404-error-pages-one-more-time" )

    askbargains, Jul 27, 2009