Custom control caching

Jonathan Carter

I was recently searching for a solution on how to perform an output
caching-like solution on a custom control. Obviously the OutputCache
directive wasn't available, and I tried using the Response's Cache
object but to no avail. I had looked in every ASP.NET book I have
(1.0/1.1/2.0) as well as tons of online articles and found no mention of
anyone caching custom controls. Finally, by mistake, I stumbled upon the
PartialCaching attribute, and after reading it's description on MSDN, I
noticed it was mentioned only to be used on user controls. I decided to
try it anyway on my custom control and it worked quite nicely, giving me
the exact effect of what I wanted. My question is, is this a known
solution for caching custom controls, and is there a better, more
suggested way of doing this that I haven't found? Any comments would be
appreciated, thanks.