custom control dll not updated unless vs.NET reloaded

Ziteng Chen

Hi, I ran into some dll problems while building custom server controls
in asp.net

(1) I built a Web Custom Server Control in a blank project in VS.NET,
and compiled it into a dll which is placed in the /bin of an ASPX web
application project.

(1a) I can register this custom control with the asp pages in the web
project and build the project all right, but then at run time of the web
page (when I deploy the page using "debug"), I get this "Parser Error":

I have "AlienDropDownListPlus" as the custom control under
"TextboxControl" project and namespace. And "TestApp" is the assembly
to which "AlienDropDownListPlus" is compiled. Then
"AlienDropDownListPlus" is used in an web project.

NOTE: The following registry has been included the placed within the
erroring asp page:
<%@ Register TagPrefix="cc1" Namespace="TextboxControl"
Assembly="TestApp" %>

to service this request. Please review the following specific parse
error details and modify your source file appropriately.

Parser Error Message: Could not load type
TextboxControl.AlienDropDownListPlus from assembly TestApp,
Version=1.0.1424.25850, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null.

Source Error:

Line 45: <cc1:AlienDropDownListPlus id="AlienDropDownListPlus1"
runat="server"></cc1:AlienDropDownListPlus></P>

Does anyone has any pointer as to why such an error would happen? If
the code can be compiled, then why would the custom control class not
find at run time? Is there black magic?

(1b) Whenever I make a change to the custom control, the change is not
updated to the custom control in the "Toolbox" panel at design-time
unless VS.NET is restarted. Any clues, folks? Is this the supposed
behaviour or can I do something in VS to avoid such hassle?

(2) The problem (1a) goes away when I place the control class in the
web application project intead of a seperate one. But (1b) still
persists. Help!