custom errors: machine.config vs. web.config

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by kramer.newsreader@gmail.com, Dec 2, 2005.

  1. Guest

    I am develoing a C# web application on a remote server. I have publish
    access to this server, but not permission to change configuration
    setting.

    When I try to load my page, I get the following message:

    Runtime Error
    custom error settings for this application prevent the details of the
    application error from being viewed remotely (for security reasons). It
    could, however, be viewed by browsers running on the local server
    machine. ... etc.

    Now, the following line exists in the web.config file in the
    application directory:
    <customErrors mode="Off" />
    which should allow me to see specific error messages, but the following
    line appears in machine.config on the server:
    <customErrors mode="RemoteOnly" />
    which should display the above generic error message.

    My question is this: does the setting in machine.config override
    web.config or vice-versa?

    Is my problem the setting in machine.config or is it something else?

    Thanks very much.

    , Dec 2, 2005

    web.config overrides machine.config.

    , Dec 2, 2005

  3. Bruce Barker Guest

    web.config generally overrides machine.config. but in machine config you can
    specify that the webconfig can override the value (actually the default is
    no, and you specify which can be overriden).

    -- bruce (sqlwork.com)

    Bruce Barker, Dec 2, 2005