custom errors: machine.config vs. web.config

kramer.newsreader

I am develoing a C# web application on a remote server. I have publish
access to this server, but not permission to change configuration
setting.

When I try to load my page, I get the following message:

Runtime Error
custom error settings for this application prevent the details of the
application error from being viewed remotely (for security reasons). It
could, however, be viewed by browsers running on the local server
machine. ... etc.

Now, the following line exists in the web.config file in the
application directory:
<customErrors mode="Off" />
which should allow me to see specific error messages, but the following
line appears in machine.config on the server:
<customErrors mode="RemoteOnly" />
which should display the above generic error message.

My question is this: does the setting in machine.config override
web.config or vice-versa?

Is my problem the setting in machine.config or is it something else?

Thanks very much.

Bruce Barker

web.config generally overrides machine.config. but in machine config you can
specify that the webconfig can override the value (actually the default is
no, and you specify which can be overriden).

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)