custom handlers & dumb question

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Stelrad Doulton, Dec 16, 2004.

  1. Hi,

    Apologies if this isn't the correct forum. I am writing a communication
    solution (actually on the Compact Framework) based on HttpWebRequests
    hooking up with custom handlers on the server side. My dumb question is
    this: how reliable is http? For example if I use PUT and call GetResponse on
    my request object with no problem, can I guarantee that every byte of my
    file will always arrive at the web server?

    I know this sounds stupid but I just want to be sure, obviously I could
    append the byte count to the end of the file and have my custom handler
    check it against the incoming byte stream and maybe respond with an ACK or
    NACK. My thinking is that this is all handled at TCP/IP level and http is
    100% reliable but I just wanted reassurance!

    Thanks

    ---

    Stelrad Doulton, Dec 16, 2004

  2. Stelrad Doulton

    bruce barker Guest

    tcp unlike udp is a reliable transport. this means every packet sent get an
    acknowledgement, so if you can trust the status of a send (no need for own
    ACK/NAK). with http, you should also check the return status, to know if the
    PUT worked.

    tcp has limited retry logic, so a PUT can often fail, but your packet send
    will fail.

    note: you can get false failures, where the put was actually sucessfully
    processed by the server, but the client did not get an acknowledgment back
    (iis buffering may prevent the server code from seeing this condition).

    -- bruce (sqlwork.com)

    bruce barker, Dec 16, 2004

  3. Cheers Bruce,

    That was exactly what I was after!

    I have about 2 days experience with IIS, is there any configuration I can do
    reduce the false failues, or should I just be prepared to handle resubmits
    as gracefully as possible?

    "bruce barker" <> wrote in message
    > tcp unlike udp is a reliable transport. this means every packet sent get
    > an
    > acknowledgement, so if you can trust the status of a send (no need for own
    > ACK/NAK). with http, you should also check the return status, to know if
    > the
    > PUT worked.
    >
    > tcp has limited retry logic, so a PUT can often fail, but your packet send
    > will fail.
    >
    > note: you can get false failures, where the put was actually sucessfully
    > processed by the server, but the client did not get an acknowledgment back
    > (iis buffering may prevent the server code from seeing this condition).
    >

    > -- bruce (sqlwork.com)
    >

    > "Stelrad Doulton" <___@____.com> wrote in message
    > | Hi,
    > |

    > | Apologies if this isn't the correct forum. I am writing a communication
    > | solution (actually on the Compact Framework) based on HttpWebRequests
    > | hooking up with custom handlers on the server side. My dumb question is
    > | this: how reliable is http? For example if I use PUT and call
    > GetResponse
    > on
    > | my request object with no problem, can I guarantee that every byte of my
    > | file will always arrive at the web server?
    > |

    > | I know this sounds stupid but I just want to be sure, obviously I could
    > | append the byte count to the end of the file and have my custom handler
    > | check it against the incoming byte stream and maybe respond with an ACK
    > or
    > | NACK. My thinking is that this is all handled at TCP/IP level and http
    > is
    > | 100% reliable but I just wanted reassurance!
    > |

    > | Thanks
    > |

    > | ---

    ---

    Stelrad Doulton, Dec 16, 2004
  4. Stelrad Doulton

    bruce barker Guest

    you have to handle resubmits. i usually use a transaction guid.

    | Cheers Bruce,
    |
    | That was exactly what I was after!
    |
    | I have about 2 days experience with IIS, is there any configuration I can
    do
    | reduce the false failues, or should I just be prepared to handle resubmits
    | as gracefully as possible?
    |
    | "bruce barker" <> wrote in message
    | > tcp unlike udp is a reliable transport. this means every packet sent get
    | > an
    | > acknowledgement, so if you can trust the status of a send (no need for
    own
    | > ACK/NAK). with http, you should also check the return status, to know if
    | > the
    | > PUT worked.
    | >
    | > tcp has limited retry logic, so a PUT can often fail, but your packet
    send
    | > will fail.
    | >
    | > note: you can get false failures, where the put was actually sucessfully
    | > processed by the server, but the client did not get an acknowledgment
    back
    | > (iis buffering may prevent the server code from seeing this condition).
    | >

    | > -- bruce (sqlwork.com)
    | >

    | > "Stelrad Doulton" <___@____.com> wrote in message
    | > | Hi,
    | > |
    | > |
    | > |
    | > | Apologies if this isn't the correct forum. I am writing a
    communication
    | > | solution (actually on the Compact Framework) based on HttpWebRequests
    | > | hooking up with custom handlers on the server side. My dumb question
    is
    | > | this: how reliable is http? For example if I use PUT and call
    | > GetResponse
    | > on
    | > | my request object with no problem, can I guarantee that every byte of
    my
    | > | file will always arrive at the web server?
    | > |
    | > |
    | > |
    | > | I know this sounds stupid but I just want to be sure, obviously I
    could
    | > | append the byte count to the end of the file and have my custom
    handler
    | > | check it against the incoming byte stream and maybe respond with an
    ACK
    | > or
    | > | NACK. My thinking is that this is all handled at TCP/IP level and http
    | > is
    | > | 100% reliable but I just wanted reassurance!
    | > |
    | > |
    | > |
    | > | Thanks
    | > |
    | > |
    | > | ---
    | > |
    | > |

    bruce barker, Dec 17, 2004
  5. Never heard of this strategy!! Is there a sample somewhere you could point
    me to?

    Cheers

    > you have to handle resubmits. i usually use a transaction guid.
    >
    > -- bruce (sqlwork.com)
    >
    > "Stelrad Doulton" <___@____.com> wrote in message
    > | Cheers Bruce,
    > |
    > | That was exactly what I was after!
    > |
    > | I have about 2 days experience with IIS, is there any configuration I
    > can
    > do
    > | reduce the false failues, or should I just be prepared to handle
    > resubmits
    > | as gracefully as possible?
    > |
    > | "bruce barker" <> wrote in message
    > | > tcp unlike udp is a reliable transport. this means every packet sent
    > get
    > | > an
    > | > acknowledgement, so if you can trust the status of a send (no need for
    > own
    > | > ACK/NAK). with http, you should also check the return status, to know
    > if
    > | > the
    > | > PUT worked.
    > | >
    > | > tcp has limited retry logic, so a PUT can often fail, but your packet
    > send
    > | > will fail.
    > | >
    > | > note: you can get false failures, where the put was actually
    > sucessfully
    > | > processed by the server, but the client did not get an acknowledgment
    > back
    > | > (iis buffering may prevent the server code from seeing this
    > condition).
    > | >

    > | > -- bruce (sqlwork.com)
    > | >

    > | > "Stelrad Doulton" <___@____.com> wrote in message
    > | > |