Custom XML Webservice serialization

news.microsoft.com

We are currently working on an enterprise application with a complex domain
model. We have run into a situation where we want to customize the
serialization process done by the webservices. Could you please help us with
the following questions on webservice serialization -

1. Can we serialize just the state of a serializable object by considering
just the private fields, and not the public properties, which is the
conventional way Web Services serialize objects?

2. We have tried implementing IXmlSerializable and using the
XMLSchemaProvider attribute, and this works fine till we run into a case
when the return type of a WebMethod is references through an abstract class,
where we start getting a 'Cannot instantiate an abstract class' exception.

Please let me know if more information is needed to answer these questions.

Thanks

Ranjan