Dabo 0.9.0 Released

Ed Leafe

We are proud (and relieved!) to finally release Dabo 0.9.0, the first
official release of the framework in six months. We haven't been
taking it easy during that period; rather, we made some changes that
clean up some weak spots in the codebase, and as a result can offer a
much more solid framework, and are on course for a 1.0 release in the
near future.

To do this, we made some decisions that break backwards compatibility.
We dropped support for Python versions earlier than 2.4, and wxPython
versions below 2.8. Supporting everything is nice to aim for, but
completely impractical.

There is also a major addition to the framework: the ability to deploy
Dabo applications as true web apps. Imagine: being able to develop a
rich internet app using nothing but Python on both the client and
server! It's still early in the development process, so it's lacking a
lot of the supporting tools, and almost no documentation has been
created, but that will be coming in the next few weeks/months. When
you deploy your app as a web app, all data access and business logic
is on the server, and the framework automatically handles the
communication between the client and server. The framework also
automatically grabs file changes from the server, making UI updates
seamless and quick. Lots more interesting stuff will be happening in
this area in the near future, so stay tuned!

If you're not already familiar with Dabo, we're the premier open
source framework for developing desktop (and now web!) applications in
Python. We make the difficult stuff like binding databases to UI
controls simple.

You can grab the latest version from http://dabodev.com/download

A fairly comprehensive list of the changes we've made since the last
release can be found at http://svn.dabodev.com/dabo/tags/dabo-0.9.0/ChangeLog

-- Ed Leafe

Fuzzyman

We are proud (and relieved!) to finally release Dabo 0.9.0, the first
official release of the framework in six months. We haven't been
taking it easy during that period; rather, we made some changes that
clean up some weak spots in the codebase, and as a result can offer a
much more solid framework, and are on course for a 1.0 release in the
near future.

Congratulations Ed and crew.

Michael Foord