    if the client and server can interoperate in linux and windows.

    thanks a lot!
    biku
    Biku, Feb 9, 2005

  2. In article <>,
    Biku <> wrote:
    :Hi I have written a client/server socket programme in Linux. Now I need
    :to compress data using zip or bzip2 compression or whatever is possible
    :before sending the data via socket to the remote end. It will be great
    :if the client and server can interoperate in linux and windows.

    So do it already. You can get bzip library sources easily enough,
    and when I've looked at similar libraries they have always included
    the facility to compress strings in memory as well as to compress files.
    --
    Oh, to be a Blobel!
    Walter Roberson, Feb 9, 2005

  3. Biku

    Rich Gibbs Guest

    Bike said the following, on 02/09/05 15:00:
    > Hi I have written a client/server socket programme in Linux. Now I need
    > to compress data using zip or bzip2 compression or whatever is possible
    > before sending the data via socket to the remote end. It will be great
    > if the client and server can interoperate in linux and windows.

    This really is not a question about the C language. The group
    comp.unfix.programmer is probably better for this sort of thing.

    [OT]
    The 'lib' compression library is available for both Linux and Windows:
    http://www.zlib.org/

    Descriptions of the compressed formats are in RFC 1950-1952.
    [/OT]

    --
    Rich Gibbs
    Rich Gibbs, Feb 9, 2005
  4. Biku wrote:

    > Hi I have written a client/server socket programme in Linux. Now I need
    > to compress data using zip or bzip2 compression or whatever is possible
    > before sending the data via socket to the remote end. It will be great
    > if the client and server can interoperate in linux and windows.
    >
    > thanks a lot!
    > biku

    Good for you.

    gtoomey