Data Compression when Uploading data to ASP.NET 2.0 Web Services

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by SimonDev, Nov 12, 2009.

  1. SimonDev

    SimonDev Guest

    Is it possible to decompress data uploaded to a web service using GZip
    compression? I've found a lot of articles about data compression when
    downloading data but nothing about compression when uploading.

    Data will be uploaded to the web service from handheld devices using GZip
    compression. The handheld developers already have a library that can do
    this. I just need to figure out how to decompress the data in the web
    service on the server side.

    I'm hoping there is some easy way I could do something like subclass
    System.Web.Services.WebService to enable GZip decompression. That way I
    could update the existing web service classes to derivce from the new class
    instead of WebService, rather than rewrite the web services completely. Is
    this possible?

    We are using HTTP POST not SOAP to transmit the data as each message is
    fairly short and using SOAP increases the message length markedly. Therefore
    I cannot use any solution that involves SOAP extensions. (while each message
    is fairly short about 500,000 messages are sent each day so it all adds up).

    Cheers
    Simon
    SimonDev, Nov 12, 2009