database / document search control

musosdev

Hi

I'm lookin for a bit of advice regarding search controls.

We currently have a number of tables in an SQL server database which our app
can search. The code uses LIKE querying.

We'd like to update that to a faster, more robust system of searching
(perhaps using full test indexing). But we'd also like to add the ability to
search documents stored on our shared drive at the same time.

The obvious solution is to update our current search routines to search the
sql full text index, and then add in code to query either Search Server or
the Indexing Service. However, that's a lot of coding and testing time.

Is there an asp.net search component that will give us this search
functionality to query both the database and the indexing service? Or are we
on the right track rolling our own?

Thanks

Dan