database >> html file via FSO?

jason

I would appreciate some help on how to convert a database table into an html
file via FSO and whether more seasoned asp programmers recommned this route.
The main reason I am attempting to do this is becuase we are constantly
being told by so-called marketing gurus that 'html' pages are more search
engine friendly.

Other advantages include speed of download.

Will there be any problems with using this approach besides establishing
permissions on our remote web host....is it possible that the updated
html-from-fso file will get 'locked' as you attempt to update it via the
database...are there problems with caching....I would appreciate some
pointers on the curve balls associated with this method.

Here is a typical portion of the database table I wish to smash into html...

Latest mulihulls added to our site!
Model Size Name Condition Original Price Reduced
Price
Lagoon 23 X -factor Used 200000 100000
Privilege 45 ASDF Used 30000 28000

Appreciate advice
Jason

jason

Hi...

- Access 2000

- FSO seems like the only possiblity to dynamically constrcut html pages on
the fly from a the database and asp with an .htm rather than .asp extension

- More friendly than .ASP pages which require round trips to the server and
take longer to proces than vaniall .htm files

- The database is sitting online at our remote web host. At first we will
ftp overwrite the database but will improve the admin by allowing asp-admin
pages. to construct the asp pages - and hopefully - an html version....

The database will be used for displaying data to the website visitor and to
generate backend reports. I am only interested in generating an html page
for the menu section of our new yacht listings

Thanks
Jason

Adrian Forbes - MVP

I would appreciate some help on how to convert a
database table into an html file via FSO and whether
more seasoned asp programmers recommned this route.

There is help on using FSO here;

http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2039

The main reason I am attempting to do this is becuase
we are constantly being told by so-called marketing
gurus that 'html' pages are more search engine friendly.

And if you told them how to do their job what would they
say?

They only real way that html is more search-engine
friendly is when your ASP page works something like;

product.asp?ID=123

ie you only have one page but different params that show
the different products. If there is no list of links to
all your products somewhere then search spiders can't see
all variations of your products. However the same will go
if you convert them all to htm, you will still need a link
to each product somewhere so that the spiders and trawl
your site correctly.

If you are talking about Index Server to search your own
site, however, then they do have a point.
Other advantages include speed of download.

If you are using IIS5 then the performance is better than
IIS4 as pages are cached, but html will always be a
nanosecond or two faster then asp.
Will there be any problems with using this approach
besides establishing permissions on our remote web
host....

As has been said it is a maintenance nightmare. You will
need to schedule some process somewhere that re-generates
all the static pages when your database changes, or
something that keeps track of what tables have been
altered and genereates new html as required.