Saving ASP output to HTML file on the server

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by William Morris, Aug 18, 2004.

  1. We have a number of clients using a web application. Each client sees a
    slightly different version of, say, a contact input page. As a simple
    example, Client #1 sees demographics, plus religious preference and race;
    Client #2 sees demographics, plus veteran's status and race, but not
    religion; client #3 sees only demographics. The forms don't change much,
    but they do change from time to time as clients add or subtract fields.

    Each of these different versions are built from a database table which
    describes each form for each client. When the server is under extremely
    heavy load, the db-built forms slow down some reaching the client machines.
    Because most of our clients are coming from a desktop world, they want to
    see the forms load as quickly as possible.

    I've taken to saving the html source from the asp files to HTML files, named
    for their function and the relevant employee id, i.e. contact1234.html.
    When contact.asp loads for employee 1234, it looks for the corresponding
    HTML file and loads it if it finds it, or continues as normal if it doesn't.
    That's fine for the number of clients that we have now, but as more come
    online, this process is going to become unmanageable in a real hurry.

    What I'd like is to be able to click a button at the bottom of a page and
    have the file generated automatically. I've experimented with the method
    shown at

    http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2173

    and it works great as long as nothing dependant on session is involved. Our
    app uses a few session variables, and any processing that depends on that
    fails as the XML object does its thing.

    I'd appreciate any insight I can get.

    - Wm

    --