DataGrid in DataList in UpdatePanel

Theo

I've got a bit of an issue that I'm trying to work out.

I have the page structure described in the subject, and performance
seems to have taken a nose dive, from perfectly acceptable at 8
DataList rows to Hideously Bad at 150 (the difference between the dev/
test system and the production system).

I'm looking for ways to improve performance. So far, I've made a big
difference by getting the ViewState and ControlState out of the page
and into the session, but I still need to do more.

Each row of the DataList has a set of bound controls, including a
DataGrid made hideable with a CollapsiblePanelExtender, the DataGrids
have 7 bound columns (1 checkbox, 5 text fields bound to literals, and
1 column with bound imagebuttons).

Currently, when the results aren't filtered (the default), the users
on production are seeing warnings about a slow script when the
UpdatePanel containing the DataList is updated. I suspect it's the
client-side portion of the AJAX process, busy handling about 1MB of
data that's just come down the wire.

I really need help on this one.

- Theo

bruce barker

you should only render the grids when displayed. use ajax to to get the html
when opened. also IE is pretty slow renderinfg tables, so 150 rows is bad.
change to div's and css. you should also avoid rerending the whole page (even
with a update panel which rerenders all its content and is slower than a
postback).

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)