datagrid update Command

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by =?Utf-8?B?c2lhag==?=, Mar 4, 2005.

  1. Hello All,
    If some one has faced a similar issue..
    My datagrid Update command is not getting fired in fact it seems that the no
    event fires on clicking the update link. Although the cancel and the Edit
    Commmand are getting fired properly.

    The One difference I have seen is that in the task bar ..on hovering on the
    link the javascript for the update link seems different. I dont know if it
    makes sense..

    Edit Button : javascript:__doPostBack('DataGrid1$_ctl7$_ctl3','')
    Cancel buton : javascript:__doPostBack('DataGrid1$_ctl7$_ctl0','')
    Update button :
    javascript:{if%20(typeof(Page_ClientValidate)%20!=%20'function'%20||%20%20Page_ClientValidate())%20__doPostBack('DataGrid1$_ctl7$_ctl2','')}

    fyi..
    I have in the HTML datagrid code OnUpdateCommand="DataGrid1_UpdateCommand"
    and in Code behind..
    Public Sub DataGrid1_UpdateCommand(ByVal source As System.Object, ByVal e As
    System.Web.UI.WebControls.DataGridCommandEventArgs) Handles
    DataGrid1.UpdateCommand

    Cheers,
    siaj

    =?Utf-8?B?c2lhag==?=, Mar 4, 2005

  2. =?Utf-8?B?c2lhag==?=

    Elton Wang Guest

    Do you add any validator control in your page?

    you may show us more detailed info, such as your HTML
    datagrid code.

    BTH, Since you have
    Handles DataGrid1.UpdateCommand behind Sub
    DataGrid1_UpdateCommand(ByVal source As System.Object,
    ByVal e As
    System.Web.UI.WebControls.DataGridCommandEventArgs), you
    don't need OnUpdateCommand="DataGrid1_UpdateCommand"
    in HTML code. That may trigger the event twice.

    Elton Wang

    Elton Wang, Mar 5, 2005

  3. U r right sir.. thanks..
    I was having a validation on a different text box on the same form(To add
    user). This Text box gets visible only when user clicks on button addUser.
    What was happening was that when ever I was clicking update on datagrid, post
    back was happening and the validation was getting fired for the empty
    UserName text box( for adduser) which is hidden.
    Now the scenario appears proper , and this is how It should happen i.e
    UserName textbox will be empty while I am updating a value in the grid. How
    should I take care that the validation for the AddUser should get fired only
    when I am trying to save new user not when postback is happening due to some
    other reason in the web form(for eg in the datagrid in this case).

    Will appreciate any idea..

    cheers,
    siaj

    =?Utf-8?B?c2lhag==?=, Mar 5, 2005
  4. =?Utf-8?B?c2lhag==?=

    Elton Wang Guest

    Hi siaj,

    If the validation only affects Update, you might use
    following logic:

    In EditCommand event (after that, update and cancel will
    be enabled)
    disable validation
    (you might also disable AddUser button here)
    In UpdateCommand and CacellCommand (after that, it will
    return normal state)
    enable validation
    (enable AddUser button)

    HTH