DataList: how to use??

Ed Warren

I am having difficulity understanding just exactly how to use the DataList
(may be using it in the wrong context)

Problem: I have a dataset that has several long text lines. It displays in
a Datagrid but looks terrible. (I know the data connections, etc. are
working ok, and I have a valid dataset available.

I want to control the display of the data in a format like

Name
Address
City

Name
Address
City

Name
Address
City

.....etc.

I looked to me that the DataList was a good way to go

So I put a DataList onto the document
Connected up the datasource
Went to the template edit
Added a TextField to the Item template
Ran the form

Ugh---- A copy of the text field for each record (25 copies) , but populated
with the first record's data ------

Obviously I'm missing a basic concept here. Review of the various MS papers
(re Data Binding in Web Forms has not been enlightening :<

Using the design tools how do I set this monster up to show the data in the
format I want, or is there a better mousetrap (widget to use to accomplish
this)?

Thanks,

Ed Warren

Ed Warren

Never mind, after a few more hours looking around I found I needed to link
the data to the container not the dataset.
Learning via the bump, bounce method sometimes hurts.

Now it is working great, sometimes it is the simple conceptual problems that
get me.

Ed Warren