datalist vbCrLf & OnEditCommand/OnUpdateCommand Event Procedures

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Datagrid Control' started by Jim in Arizona, Dec 29, 2006.

  1. Posted in aspnet also. Sorry but no one responded there so hoping for
    some luck here .....

    Is there an easier way to make a datalist aware of line breaks within
    text fields?

    I have a text box that users can type into. If they press the enter key
    a few times, VB sees this as a vbCrLf. This text is inserted into a text
    field in an SQL server. When the data is read and presented by the
    datalist, the line breaks are gone. All the text is just together
    without paragraphing.

    I am able to keep the spaces if I try this approach:

    txtNewLog.Text = Replace(txtNewLog.Text, vbCrLf, "<br />")

    That works when the text is shown by the datalist. But when I go to
    'edit' that text, the text shows the <br /> tags. If the user tries to
    post that back, I get this error:

    A potentially dangerous Request.Form value was detected from the client
    (dlNotes$ctl00$txtEditLog="...m''s Test.<br /><br />A line b...").

    This is an understandable security precaution on .Net's part and I don't
    wish to turn of this validation.

    The other option I tried was to revert things back on the 'EditItem'
    procedure (the OnEditCommand="UpdateNote" within the datalist
    paramaters) by reversing the replace function, like so:

    txtEditLog.Text = Replace(txtEditLog.Text, "<br />", vbCrLf)

    The problem with that is when I execute the Edit sub, the control
    'txtEditLog' cannot be found using this code within the sub:

    Sub EditNote(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As DataListCommandEventArgs)

    Dim txtEditLog As New TextBox
    txtEditLog = e.Item.FindControl("txtEditLog")

    txtEditLog.Text = Replace(txtEditLog.Text, "<br />", vbCrLf)
    End Sub

    Controls can be found just fine in the Update Procedure (the
    OnUpdateCommand="UpdateNote" within the datalist paramaters). I wasn't
    aware until now that controls cannot be declared and found within the
    OnEditCommand event procedure.

    Any advice on fixing this delimma?

    TIA,
    Jim