    Dim dataSet As DataSet = LoadMyCalendarData

    I would think think the compiler would flag you in one way or another
    because of a reserved word.

    JimO, Mar 1, 2006

  2. DataSet is not a reserved word in VB. Thus, the compiler won't flag it.
    Hence, only the Framework itself would have a reason to complain.

    Note also that the Framework is written in C#, so this may be a reason why
    is doesn't complain, though this is only speculation on my part.
    --
    Christopher A. Reed

    Christopher Reed, Mar 1, 2006

  3. Basically because the AS keyword tells the compiler which is a
    variable and which is an object. The main difference is that VB
    doesn't care if you declare something AS dataSet, but in C# it won't
    compile. However, you can't have two dataSet variables in the same
    scope (which goes without saying). So what is really meant is that VB
    is not case-sensitive with the keywords themselves, not with comparing
    case-sensitivity between variables and keywords.

    BTW, using camel case is now accepted practice, which is why you see
    it in the Wrox book. Everyone is moving away from the selfish naming
    convention (MyDataSet).

    --Mary

    On Wed, 01 Mar 2006 03:34:52 GMT, "JimO"

    Mary Chipman [MSFT], Mar 8, 2006