Post Back and DataSet

SandraP

Hello,
I'm new in ASP and would like to ask probably simple question that is
hard for me :)
I have aspx page with dataview, Search button and some additional
UserControl with some button.
The Data view is filled in from DataSet after pressing on
'Search'button (according user's parameters)
till this point all works OK

The User Control button uses same DataSet for its internal pruposes,
but after pressing on the control the DataSet is set not null (as
result of PostBack, since it filled by Search button and after page
reloading it this data is gone)
So the operation intended to be performed by user control fails as
result of null in dataset.

Do you have some idea how it is possible to handle this case?
That in case of pressing on User Control the DataSet will be saved
after PostBack and in case of Search button will not?

Thanks to all in advance.