datetime format in xml

Guest

Hi all, I am consuming a web service on .net client side. I generated the
proxy class and it has a custom object with a few datetime properties. The
problem is when I populate some of those properties, the underlying xml
serializer formats the property as outlined below

2005-11-07T18:34:36.6990563-06:00

The problem is the WS needs it in the following format:-

2005-11-04T08:30:39

Any ideas on how I can control this?

TIA!

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Param,

Welcome to MSDN newsgroup.
From your description, you're cosuming a certain webservice which will pass
DateTime object in your .NET client app. And you found that the default
serlized datetime output is not quite suit the webservice's actual
requirement, yes?

As for this quesiton, I think it is due to the current .net framework (1.0,
1.1)'s DateTime class's limitation. The current DateTime class is always
persisted as local time format (with TimeZone offset...), also the

2005-11-07T18:34:36.6990563-06:00

output you got is the default xml serlization output. Since we can not
control the underlying xmlserlization of the DateTime class( build-in basic
type), I'd suggest you consider modifying the .NET client proxy code,
change that class property which uesd to be DateTime type to a string type.
Then, we can use the DateTime class's ToString method to perform datetime
formatting which can output many different formats we want, here is the
related msdn reference on DateTime formatting:

#Standard DateTime Format Strings Output Examples
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/cpguide/html/cpconstandarddatetimefo
rmatstringsoutputexample.asp?frame=true

Also, another msdn article discussing on the best practice using DateTime
in .net 1.x application:

#Coding Best Practices Using DateTime in the .NET Framework
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dndotnet/ht
ml/datetimecode.asp

Hope helps. Thanks,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

--------------------
| From: <[email protected]>
| Subject: datetime format in xml
| Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2005 09:33:07 -0600
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webservices
|
| Hi all, I am consuming a web service on .net client side. I generated the
| proxy class and it has a custom object with a few datetime properties.
The
| problem is when I populate some of those properties, the underlying xml
| serializer formats the property as outlined below
|
| 2005-11-07T18:34:36.6990563-06:00
|
| The problem is the WS needs it in the following format:-
|
| 2005-11-04T08:30:39
|
| Any ideas on how I can control this?
|
| TIA!

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Thanks for your respone Param,

As for .NET 2.0, of course the DateTime type has greatly enchanged. The
.NET 2.0 DateTime class support a DateTimeKind property which help specify
whether the datetime object is representing a local time, UTC time or
unspecified....

So for local and utc time, the default xmlserliazation output will like
below:

local now:

<dateTime>2005-11-10T13:50:52.5979344-08:00</dateTime>

utc now:

<dateTime>2005-11-10T21:50:52.5979344Z</dateTime>

so we can see for UTC time it no longer append the unused TimeZone offset.
However, since the milliseconds is necessary for precise purpose, it is
still appended. So for you scenario, we should use the DateTime Formatting
flag to manually do the formatting so as to get the output we want.

> [...]

| > Microsoft Online Support

| > rights.)
| >

| > --------------------
| > | From: <[email protected]>
| > | Subject: datetime format in xml
| > | Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2005 09:33:07 -0600
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webservices
| > |
| > | Hi all, I am consuming a web service on .net client side. I generated
| > the
| > | proxy class and it has a custom object with a few datetime properties.
| > The
| > | problem is when I populate some of those properties, the underlying
xml
| > | serializer formats the property as outlined below
| > |
| > | 2005-11-07T18:34:36.6990563-06:00
| > |
| > | The problem is the WS needs it in the following format:-
| > |
| > | Any ideas on how I can control this?
| > |
| > | TIA!
| > |
| > |
| > |

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Param,

Does my further reply helps a little? If there're still anything else we
can help, please feel free to post here.

> [...]

| | > formatting which can output many different formats we want, here is
the
| | > related msdn reference on DateTime formatting:
| | >
| | > #Standard DateTime Format Strings Output Examples

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/cpguide/html/cpconstandarddatetimefo
| | > rmatstringsoutputexample.asp?frame=true
| | >
| | > Also, another msdn article discussing on the best practice using
| DateTime
| | > in .net 1.x application:
| | >
| | > #Coding Best Practices Using DateTime in the .NET Framework

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dndotnet/ht
| | > ml/datetimecode.asp
| | >
| | > Hope helps. Thanks,
| | >
| | > Steven Cheng
| | > Microsoft Online Support
| | >
| | > Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
| | > (This posting is provided "AS IS", with no warranties, and confers no

| | > |
| | > |
| | > |
| | > |
| | > |

| |
| |
| |

Guest

It worked. Thanks!

Steven Cheng said:
> [...]

| | > formatting which can output many different formats we want, here is
the
| | > related msdn reference on DateTime formatting:
| | >
| | > #Standard DateTime Format Strings Output Examples

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/cpguide/html/cpconstandarddatetimefo
| | > rmatstringsoutputexample.asp?frame=true
| | >
| | > Also, another msdn article discussing on the best practice using
| DateTime
| | > in .net 1.x application:
| | >
| | > #Coding Best Practices Using DateTime in the .NET Framework

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dndotnet/ht
| | > ml/datetimecode.asp
| | >
| | > Hope helps. Thanks,
| | >
| | > Steven Cheng
| | > Microsoft Online Support
| | >
| | > Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
| | > (This posting is provided "AS IS", with no warranties, and confers

| | > |
| | > |
| | > |
| | > |
| | > |

| |
| |
| |

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

You're welcome Param,

Regards,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)
--------------------
| From: <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: datetime format in xml
| Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2005 22:20:35 -0600
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webservices
|
| It worked. Thanks!
|
| | > Hi Param,
| >
| > Does my further reply helps a little? If there're still anything else we
| > can help, please feel free to post here.
| >
| > Thanks,
| >
| > Steven Cheng
| > Microsoft Online Support

| > rights.)
| > --------------------
| > | From: (e-mail address removed) (Steven Cheng[MSFT])
| > | Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 05:56:31 GMT
| > | Subject: Re: datetime format in xml
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webservices
| > |
| > | Thanks for your respone Param,
| > |
| > | As for .NET 2.0, of course the DateTime type has greatly enchanged.
The
| > | .NET 2.0 DateTime class support a DateTimeKind property which help
| > specify
| > | whether the datetime object is representing a local time, UTC time or
| > | unspecified....
| > |
| > | So for local and utc time, the default xmlserliazation output will
like
| > | below:
| > |
| > |
| > | local now:
| > |
| > | <dateTime>2005-11-10T13:50:52.5979344-08:00</dateTime>
| > |
| > | utc now:
| > |
| > | <dateTime>2005-11-10T21:50:52.5979344Z</dateTime>
| > |
| > |
| > | so we can see for UTC time it no longer append the unused TimeZone
| > offset.
| > | However, since the milliseconds is necessary for precise purpose, it
is
| > | still appended. So for you scenario, we should use the DateTime
| > Formatting
| > | flag to manually do the formatting so as to get the output we want.
| > |
| > | Thanks,
| > |
| > | Steven Cheng
| > | Microsoft Online Support
| > |
| > | Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
| > | (This posting is provided "AS IS", with no warranties, and confers no
| > | rights.)
| > |
| > | --------------------
| > | |