    death toll in wars. They put "100s africans, 1000s civil war..." and I
    would like to know the meaning of the little "s" after the numbers.
    Tanks very much.

    deka, May 28, 2009

  2. On 28 May 2009, at 15:01, deka wrote:
    > Hi, I am a Brazilian girl and I have a doubt abour numbers in English.
    > I have a book in English where there is a tabel on cumulative civilian
    > death toll in wars. They put "100s africans, 1000s civil war..." and I
    > would like to know the meaning of the little "s" after the numbers.
    > Tanks very much.

    100s reads as 'hundreds'
    1000s reads as 'thousands'

    Ellie

    Eleanor McHugh
    Games With Brains
    http://slides.games-with-brains.net
    ----

    Eleanor McHugh, May 28, 2009

  3. deka

    deka Guest

    On 28 maio, 11:09, Eleanor McHugh <>
    wrote:
    > On 28 May 2009, at 15:01, deka wrote:
    >
    > > Hi, I am a Brazilian girl and I have a doubt abour numbers in English.
    > > I have a book in English where there is a tabel on cumulative civilian
    > > death toll in wars. They put "100s africans, 1000s civil war..." and I
    > > would like to know the meaning of the little "s" after the numbers.
    > > Tanks very much.

    > 100s reads as 'hundreds'
    > 1000s reads as 'thousands'
    >
    > Ellie
    >
    > Eleanor McHugh
    > Games With Brainshttp://slides.games-with-brains.net
    > ----
    > raise ArgumentError unless @reality.responds_to? :reason

    Ellie,
    Thank you very much!

    deka, May 28, 2009
  4. deka <> writes:

    > Hi, I am a Brazilian girl and I have a doubt abour numbers in English.
    > I have a book in English where there is a table on cumulative civilian
    > death toll in wars. They put "100s africans, 1000s civil war..." and I
    > would like to know the meaning of the little "s" after the numbers.

    Notice that this is very bad typological style to print digits in
    these cases. They should have spelled them out: "hundreds of
    africans, thousands of civil wars".

    (It could be tolerated for decades, like the 60s or the 70s (the
    sixties, the seventies), but this is not "Y2K-compliant", and writting
    1960s is not good style either, so even in this case it's better to
    spell the numbers out).

    --
    __Pascal Bourguignon__

    Pascal J. Bourguignon, May 28, 2009
  5. On 28 May 2009, at 15:25, Pascal J. Bourguignon wrote:
    > deka <> writes:
    >> Hi, I am a Brazilian girl and I have a doubt abour numbers in
    >> English.
    >> I have a book in English where there is a table on cumulative
    >> civilian
    >> death toll in wars. They put "100s africans, 1000s civil war..."
    >> and I
    >> would like to know the meaning of the little "s" after the numbers.

    > Notice that this is very bad typological style to print digits in
    > these cases. They should have spelled them out: "hundreds of
    > africans, thousands of civil wars".

    In prose yes, but for table headers space considerations are relevant
    and I've seen the same approach used in numerous publications.

    > (It could be tolerated for decades, like the 60s or the 70s (the
    > sixties, the seventies), but this is not "Y2K-compliant", and writting
    > 1960s is not good style either, so even in this case it's better to
    > spell the numbers out).

    I'd say that 1960s would be a much more common occurrence than
    nineteen sixties, although 60s and sixties probably are more evenly
    distributed in my reading.

    Eleanor McHugh, May 28, 2009
  6. deka

    Roger Pack Guest

    Pascal J. Bourguignon wrote:
    > deka <> writes:
    >
    >> Hi, I am a Brazilian girl and I have a doubt abour numbers in English.
    >> I have a book in English where there is a table on cumulative civilian
    >> death toll in wars. They put "100s africans, 1000s civil war..." and I
    >> would like to know the meaning of the little "s" after the numbers.

    > Notice that this is very bad typological style to print digits in
    > these cases. They should have spelled them out: "hundreds of
    > africans, thousands of civil wars".

    or at least written them as
    100's and 1000's
    -=r

    Roger Pack, May 28, 2009
  7. On 28 May 2009, at 19:23, Roger Pack wrote:
    > Pascal J. Bourguignon wrote:
    >> deka <> writes:
    >>
    >>> Hi, I am a Brazilian girl and I have a doubt abour numbers in
    >>> English.
    >>> I have a book in English where there is a table on cumulative
    >>> civilian
    >>> death toll in wars. They put "100s africans, 1000s civil war..."
    >>> and I
    >>> would like to know the meaning of the little "s" after the numbers.

    >> Notice that this is very bad typological style to print digits in
    >> these cases. They should have spelled them out: "hundreds of
    >> africans, thousands of civil wars".

    > or at least written them as
    > 100's and 1000's

    Except that would in principle be 'of the hundred' and 'of the
    thousand' as using the numeric form isn't an abbreviation and so an
    apostrophe before the s isn't appropriate for pluralisation. It is
    however an increasingly widespread usage (thanks to the inability of
    many people to use the apostrophe correctly).

    Eleanor McHugh, May 28, 2009
  8. On 28.05.2009 20:30, Eleanor McHugh wrote:
    > On 28 May 2009, at 19:23, Roger Pack wrote:
    >> Pascal J. Bourguignon wrote:

    >>> Notice that this is very bad typological style to print digits in
    >>> these cases. They should have spelled them out: "hundreds of
    >>> africans, thousands of civil wars".

    >> or at least written them as
    >> 100's and 1000's

    > Except that would in principle be 'of the hundred' and 'of the
    > thousand' as using the numeric form isn't an abbreviation and so an
    > apostrophe before the s isn't appropriate for pluralisation. It is
    > however an increasingly widespread usage (thanks to the inability of
    > many people to use the apostrophe correctly).

    The same happens over here in Germany, just the other way round:
    although German does not allow for an apostrophe when building a
    genitive you can see "Dietmar's Hotel" and like phrases with increasing
    frequency where "Dietmars Hotel" would have been correct. In the end we
    will probably all speak some form of "English". :)

    Cheers

    robert

    http://blog.rubybestpractices.com/

    Robert Klemme, May 28, 2009
  9. On 28 May 2009, at 19:55, Robert Klemme wrote:
    > On 28.05.2009 20:30, Eleanor McHugh wrote:

    >>> or at least written them as
    >>> 100's and 1000's

    >> Except that would in principle be 'of the hundred' and 'of the
    >> thousand' as using the numeric form isn't an abbreviation and so
    >> an apostrophe before the s isn't appropriate for pluralisation. It
    >> is however an increasingly widespread usage (thanks to the
    >> inability of many people to use the apostrophe correctly).

    > The same happens over here in Germany, just the other way round:
    > although German does not allow for an apostrophe when building a
    > genitive you can see "Dietmar's Hotel" and like phrases with
    > increasing frequency where "Dietmars Hotel" would have been
    > correct. In the end we will probably all speak some form of
    > "English". :)

    There is a school of thought which believes all punctuation is evil...

    Eleanor McHugh, May 28, 2009
  10. [Note: parts of this message were removed to make it a legal post.]

    Lol, this could quickly spiral into another beat the dead horse session aka
    pythonic indentation. Or was it the other way around?

    Jayanth

    On Fri, May 29, 2009 at 2:38 AM, Eleanor McHugh <

    Srijayanth Sridhar, May 29, 2009
  11. 2009/5/29 Srijayanth Sridhar <>:
    > Lol, this could quickly spiral into another beat the dead horse session aka
    > pythonic indentation. Or was it the other way around?

    It was: the dead horse beat Python with its indentation.

    Robert Klemme, May 29, 2009
  12. On 5/28/09, Robert Klemme <> wrote:
    > 2009/5/29 Srijayanth Sridhar <>:
    >> Lol, this could quickly spiral into another beat the dead horse session
    >> aka
    >> pythonic indentation. Or was it the other way around?

    > It was: the dead horse beat Python with its indentation.

    I thought we were beating a horse to death with a python. I think the
    python wasn't too happy about it either.

    Caleb Clausen, May 29, 2009
  13. [Note: parts of this message were removed to make it a legal post.]

    Oh. Is that what caused the indentations to begin with?

    Jayanth

    Srijayanth Sridhar, May 29, 2009