Debugging Custom MembershipProvider?

Mark Olbert

So far, I am more than a little underwhelmed by the Membership API in ASPNET2, and the ASP.NET Configuration wizard in VS2005. The
latter is slow as a pig whenever it does anything. Oh well, at least it's given me a chance to brush up on my Spider Solitaire game.

In any event, I am trying to implement a custom MembershipProvider for a website. Why? Because the default one that gets created by
the supplied wizard is way over the top, in terms of the complexity of information it manages, for the website I'm building.

The problem is I haven't been able to figure out how to debug my custom MembershipProvider. I've configured the site so that the
ASP.NET Configuration wizard uses the custom provider, but whenever I try to create a new user it blows up. It does give me an error
message when that happens. However, since that message is badly formatted, and refers solely to ASP.NET Configuration wizard files,
it's not much help.

So...how do I debug a MembershipProvider?

- Mark

Shawn Wildermuth

Hello Mark,

You once you run the configuration website, try and attach to the aspnet_wp
process with VS 2005 with your membership provider. THis has worked for me.

Shawn Wildermuth
C# MVP, Author and Speaker
http://adoguy.com

Scott Allen

The problem is I haven't been able to figure out how to debug my custom MembershipProvider. I've configured the site so that the
ASP.NET Configuration wizard uses the custom provider, but whenever I try to create a new user it blows up. It does give me an error
message when that happens. However, since that message is badly formatted, and refers solely to ASP.NET Configuration wizard files,
it's not much help.

If you are running the ASP.NET website config tool, then you'll want
to use Debug -> Attach to Process and find WebDev.WebServer.exe in the
process list. Set some breakpoints in your code, or use the Debug ->
Exceptions dialog box to have the debugger break when a managed
exception is thrown.