Debugging java memory usage in tomcat

zigzagdna

I have tomcat5. installed on a Windows 2003. Tomcat was installed as
part of a Custtomer application. Tomcat runs as a Windows service, and
one can see tomcat5.exe process in task manager. When I access the web
site of my third party application, I see thread count of tomcat5.exe
increase as well memory usage increase. I do not however see any jvm
(java)
process in task manager. When I look at vendor's script for setting up
windows service using tomcat5.exe, I do find references to java and
various jvm options such as minimum and maximum heap sizes.

I want to find find how much memory on the heap is allocated as
people access the web site. I know in java console, I can set some
debugging/tracing parameters but they do not seem to take in effect
with tomcat service. Why?

Appreciate any pointers on where java process is for tomcat and how to
monitor its memory usage.

Thanks.

Arne Vajhøj

[...]

I assume that the tomcat5.exe process is the Java process (using JNI
to activate Java).

A quick glance at service.bat indicates that you can specify memory
settings there (when defining service).

It is easy to monitor memory usage via a simple JSP page.

Arne

zigzagdna

I assume that the tomcat5.exe process is the Java process (using JNI
to activate Java).

A quick glance at service.bat indicates that you can specify memory
settings there (when defining service).

It is easy to monitor memory usage via a simple JSP page.

Arne- Hide quoted text -

Arne:

I really appreciate your useful answers. Yes, service.bat can ne
modified java parameters.
I am still curious why no java process is shown.
I will look into how to monitor memory using jsp page.

Prem

Arne Vajhøj

I am still curious why no java process is shown.

I assume it is not used.

java.exe is a relative small program that just calls
some DLL's.

It is relative easy to write another EXE to "run" Java
by calling the same JNI methods as is called in Java.exe !

So I guess that is what Tomcat5.exe is doing.

Arne