Debugging Shared Assemblies (ex. Custom Controls)

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by RadekP, Jun 25, 2003.

  1. RadekP

    RadekP Guest

    Hi Gurus ..

    I would really appreciate some insights for the problem that bugs me for
    quite some time. I keep my custom controls in their own shared
    (private/public key signed) assembly. I need to have it shared. Usually I
    work with a Web application project that has a reference to my shared,
    custom controls assembly. Web project is a "Startup Project". I need to be
    able to set a breakpoint in my Custom Controls (shared) project. VS.NET
    solution can hold more then one project - that's the most convenient way to
    go. There is no problem to stop debugger at that breakpoint having all
    assemblies kept as private. Annoyance begins with shared assemblies and its
    projects not being set as a startup project. The reference "Copy Local =
    false" always locks them up producing errors :

    "The file xxx cannot be copied to the run directory. The process cannot
    access the file because it is being used by another process".

    "Copy Local = true" helps to eliminate the error since the reference is no
    longer kept by public key in my Web application's manifest BUT even though
    they should be treated at this point as private assemblies I can't seem to
    get them to debug at all. I keep my shared assemblies in GAC so the
    reference with "Copy Local = False" at the run time concerns this location.
    Sometimes I succeed and can debug inside my shared assembly from other
    startup project but in so indeterministic way. No matter what - locking up
    shared assembly at the compilation time undermines efficient way of working
    with multiproject VS.NET solution. Can somebody share any guildlines,
    experiences ?

    Best Regards

    Radek
    RadekP, Jun 25, 2003