Definition<b>s</b> of week number?

Dr John Stockton

Throughout the world in general, ISO 8601 Week Numbers are used, in
which weeks are numbered 01 upwards and Week 01 contains the first
Thursday of the Gregorian Calendar Year.

There are, however, odd parts of the world where that standard is not
followed.

Ignoring for the moment cases in which week 1 is not more-or-less at the
beginning of the calendar year, what other definitions, stated exactly,
are used?

I'd like to be sure of complete coverage.

Randy Webb

Dr said:
Throughout the world in general, ISO 8601 Week Numbers are used, in
which weeks are numbered 01 upwards and Week 01 contains the first
Thursday of the Gregorian Calendar Year.

There are, however, odd parts of the world where that standard is not
followed.

Ignoring for the moment cases in which week 1 is not more-or-less at the
beginning of the calendar year, what other definitions, stated exactly,
are used?

I'd like to be sure of complete coverage.

It has been over 10 years since I got out of the US Military but if I
remember right the Julian Date system the US Military uses begins with
Day 1 being Jan 1 and it being the first day of the first "Military
Week" within the Supply Departments.

Andrew Taylor

--
© John Stockton, Surrey, UK. [email protected] Turnpike v4.00 MIME. ©
Dates - miscdate.htm moredate.htm js-dates.htm pas-time.htm

There some good stuff on week numbers at
http://www.cpearson.com/excel/weeknum.htm

Dr John Stockton

JRS: In article <[email protected]>, dated Thu, 10 Mar
2005 20:08:07, seen in Randy Webb
It has been over 10 years since I got out of the US Military but if I
remember right the Julian Date system the US Military uses begins with
Day 1 being Jan 1 and it being the first day of the first "Military
Week" within the Supply Departments.

Trust the military to misuse existing terminology! Julian Date is
properly a count from BC 4714-11-24 12:00:00 Greenwich Gregorian; and
the usage was already established in pre-Colonial days.

Yes, that's a known system. Clearly every year has a Week 53, of one or
two days, finishing December.

Thanks.

Dr John Stockton

JRS: In article <[email protected]>
, dated Fri, 11 Mar 2005 06:07:07, seen in
There some good stuff on week numbers at
http://www.cpearson.com/excel/weeknum.htm

Please trim your quotes, according to agreed Usenet standards and the
newsgroup FAQ.

I know of that page; it's not bad, but could do with further work (as at
the beginning of March).

It omits reference to the 2000 & 2004 editions of ISO 8601.

It calls Randy's "military" weeks "Absolute", a term which would better
be reserved for a week count from Week 0 starting with CJD 0.

I cannot comment on its Excel algorithms, but its VBA ones are sub-
optimal though probably giving correct answers.

It ignores schemes such as numbering the rows of the year's calendar, as
in this year's
1 2 row 1
3 4 5 6 7 8 9 2
10 11 12 13 14 15 16 3