Deliver a Flash file from ASP - Curious Problem

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Toni, Jul 10, 2009.

  1. Toni

    Toni Guest

    I've got a strange problem... I have a Macrome... uh, Adobe Flash file that needs to be
    delivered from an ASP page.

    Partial source:
    <OBJECT classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000">
    <PARAM NAME=movie VALUE="MyFLASH.ASP">
    :
    notice that the param VALUE above is an ASP file, not an .SWF file.

    If MyFLASH.ASP contains:
    RESPONSE.REDIRECT "/flash/myflash.swf"

    it works. But I can't do that (because the redirect tells the SWF actionscript that the
    file name is myflash.swf. I don't want that.)

    Anyway, I'd like the ASP file to stream the SWF file. I've tried Response.BinaryWrite
    but I think I'm using it wrong because it send the Flash file as text characters.

    Can anyone tell me the solution? Either classical ASP or ASP.NET?

    Thanks!!!
    Toni, Jul 10, 2009

  2. Toni wrote on Fri, 10 Jul 2009 16:12:32 -0400:

    > I've got a strange problem... I have a Macrome... uh, Adobe Flash file
    > that needs to be delivered from an ASP page.

    > Partial source:
    > <OBJECT classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000">
    > <PARAM NAME=movie VALUE="MyFLASH.ASP">
    > :
    > notice that the param VALUE above is an ASP file, not an .SWF file.

    > If MyFLASH.ASP contains:
    > RESPONSE.REDIRECT "/flash/myflash.swf"

    > it works. But I can't do that (because the redirect tells the SWF
    > actionscript that the file name is myflash.swf. I don't want that.)

    > Anyway, I'd like the ASP file to stream the SWF file. I've tried
    > Response.BinaryWrite but I think I'm using it wrong because it send
    > the Flash file as text characters.

    > Can anyone tell me the solution? Either classical ASP or ASP.NET?

    > Thanks!!!

    You would need to open the file as a binary file, write out the appropriate
    MIME content header, and then write out the binary data. Try looking for
    examples using ADO.Stream for this.

    --
    Dan
    Daniel Crichton, Jul 13, 2009