Delphi SOAP Encoding

bill

I am using a web service at
http://client.comettracker.com/ExtData/CometTrackerExtAPI.dll/wsdl/ICometTrackerExtApi
that is written in Delphi, and I am testing a consumer written in VB.NET. I
am using the Add Web Reference tool in VS.NET

With the default setup, which sets the envelope encoding to RPC, I get a
runtime error of:

An unhandled exception of type 'System.InvalidOperationException' occurred
in system.xml.dll

Additional information: There is an error in XML document (2, 83765).

I can see the XML using a trace program, and it looks OK. So, anyway, I can
change the encoding to Document and the program will run, but the object that
is being returned comes up as empty. The XML still shows up in a trace, with
the new encoding. The producer of the service is working with me, but they
are Delphi people (unsuprisingly) and this might end up being another
standards war kind of thing.

Anyway, if there is anyone in Microsoft land that has worked with Delphi
services that return defined objects, I would be interested in hearing your
encoding war tales.