Dennis Ritchie Has Died

Discussion in 'C Programming' started by Bradley K. Sherman, Oct 13, 2011.

  1. > Sad news. Rob Pike reports on Google Plus that Dennis Ritchie
    > died at his home this weekend after a long illness. Ritchie
    > created the C programming language and was a key contributor
    > to Unix. In 1983 he received the Turing Award with his long
    > time colleague Ken Thompson for the development of operating
    > systems theory and the implementation of the UNIX. He was
    > elected to the National Academy of Engineering in 1988.

    --bks
    Bradley K. Sherman, Oct 13, 2011

  2. Bradley K. Sherman

    Sunner Sun Guest

    On Oct 13, 10:12 am, (Bradley K. Sherman) wrote:
    > > Sad news.  Rob Pike reports on Google Plus that Dennis Ritchie
    > > died at his home this weekend after a long illness.  Ritchie
    > > created the C programming language and was a key contributor
    > > to Unix.  In 1983 he received the Turing Award with his long
    > > time colleague Ken Thompson for the development of operating
    > > systems theory and the implementation of the UNIX.  He was
    > > elected to the National Academy of Engineering in 1988.

    >     --bks

    RIP dmr
    Sunner Sun, Oct 13, 2011

  3. On Wed, 12 Oct 2011 19:24:02 -0700, Sunner Sun wrote:

    > On Oct 13, 10:12 am, (Bradley K. Sherman) wrote:
    >> > Sad news.  Rob Pike reports on Google Plus that Dennis Ritchie died
    >> > at his home this weekend after a long illness.  Ritchie created the C
    >> > programming language and was a key contributor to Unix.  In 1983 he
    >> > received the Turing Award with his long time colleague Ken Thompson
    >> > for the development of operating systems theory and the
    >> > implementation of the UNIX.  He was elected to the National Academy
    >> > of Engineering in 1988.

    >>     --bks

    > RIP dmr

    #include <stdio.h>

    int
    main(void)
    {
    printf("Thanks! (requiescat in pace)\n");
    return EXIT_SUCCESS;

    ___________________
    < Are we THERE yet? >
    -------------------
    \
    \
    ___
    {~._.~}
    ( Y )
    ()~*~()
    (_)-(_)
    Kleuskes & Moos, Oct 13, 2011
  4. Bradley K. Sherman

    Alberto Guest

    On Oct 13, 1:51 pm, Kleuskes & Moos <>
    wrote:

    > >>     --bks

    > > RIP dmr

    > #include <stdio.h>
    >
    > int
    > main(void)
    > {
    >   printf("Thanks! (requiescat in pace)\n");
    >   return EXIT_SUCCESS;

    >  ___________________
    > < Are we THERE yet? >
    >  -------------------
    >   \
    >    \
    >        ___
    >      {~._.~}
    >       ( Y )
    >      ()~*~()
    >      (_)-(_)

    rip
    Alberto, Oct 13, 2011
  5. Kleuskes & Moos <> writes:

> [...]

    <snip>

    > #include <stdio.h>
    >
    > int
    > main(void)
    > {
    >
    > return EXIT_SUCCESS;
    > }

    I think:

    #include <stdio.h>

    main()
    {
    printf("Thanks\n");
    return (0);
    }

    is more appropriate (though the change in the string is just personal
    taste).

    --
    Ben.
    Ben Bacarisse, Oct 13, 2011
  6. Bradley K. Sherman

    sbalneav Guest

    On 11-10-12 09:12 PM, Bradley K. Sherman wrote:
    >> Sad news. Rob Pike reports on Google Plus that Dennis Ritchie
    >> died at his home this weekend after a long illness. Ritchie
    >> created the C programming language and was a key contributor
    >> to Unix. In 1983 he received the Turing Award with his long
    >> time colleague Ken Thompson for the development of operating
    >> systems theory and the implementation of the UNIX. He was
    >> elected to the National Academy of Engineering in 1988.

    > --bks

    My sympathies go out to his family and friends. It's too bad
    there won't be the same level of public grief for Dennis R. as
    there was for Steve J. I'd argue Dennis has had the greater
    impact on the computing world than Steve did; Steve made a
    nice house with a good paintjob and flashy curtains.

    Dennis poured the foundation.
    sbalneav, Oct 13, 2011
  7. Bradley K. Sherman

    Nobody Guest

    On Wed, 12 Oct 2011 22:12:30 -0400, Bradley K. Sherman wrote:

    >> Sad news. Rob Pike reports on Google Plus that Dennis Ritchie
    >> died at his home this weekend after a long illness. Ritchie
    >> created the C programming language and was a key contributor
    >> to Unix. In 1983 he received the Turing Award with his long
    >> time colleague Ken Thompson for the development of operating
    >> systems theory and the implementation of the UNIX. He was
    >> elected to the National Academy of Engineering in 1988.

    #include <stdio.h>

    main()
    {
    printf("goodbye, world\n");
    }
    Nobody, Oct 13, 2011
  8. On Thu, 13 Oct 2011 15:23:46 +0100, Ben Bacarisse wrote:

    > Kleuskes & Moos <> writes:

    > <snip>
    >
    >> #include <stdio.h>
    >>
    >> int
    >> main(void)
    >> {
    >>
    >> return EXIT_SUCCESS;
    >> }

    > I think:
    >
    > #include <stdio.h>
    >
    > main()
    > {
    > printf("Thanks\n");
    > return (0);
    > }
    >
    > is more appropriate (though the change in the string is just personal
    > taste).

    Nack. His brainchild grew beyond the original K&R, the C89-version reflects
    this. The only flaw is that i forgot to include stdlib.h

    The sentiment is the same, though. A great man died.

    _______________________________________
    / I like the way ONLY their mouths move \
    \ ... They look like DYING OYSTERS /
    ---------------------------------------
    \
    \
    ___
    {~._.~}
    ( Y )
    ()~*~()
    (_)-(_)
    Kleuskes & Moos, Oct 13, 2011
  9. Bradley K. Sherman

    tea strainer Guest

    Bradley K. Sherman writes:
    >> Sad news. Rob Pike reports on Google Plus that Dennis Ritchie died at
    >> his home this weekend after a long illness. Ritchie created the C
    >> programming language and was a key contributor to Unix. In 1983 he
    >> received the Turing Award with his long time colleague Ken Thompson for
    >> the development of operating systems theory and the implementation of
    >> the UNIX. He was elected to the National Academy of Engineering in
    >> 1988.

    You're off-topic here. This group discusses the C language. Try asking
    over at soc.history.science where the experts hang out - they'll be able
    to give you a better answer to your question.
    tea strainer, Oct 13, 2011
  10. In article <j773q8$hsh$>,
    tea strainer <> wrote:
    >Bradley K. Sherman writes:
    >>> Sad news. Rob Pike reports on Google Plus that Dennis Ritchie died at
    >>> his home this weekend after a long illness. Ritchie created the C
    >>> programming language and was a key contributor to Unix. In 1983 he
    >>> received the Turing Award with his long time colleague Ken Thompson for
    >>> the development of operating systems theory and the implementation of
    >>> the UNIX. He was elected to the National Academy of Engineering in
    >>> 1988.

    >You're off-topic here. This group discusses the C language. Try asking
    >over at soc.history.science where the experts hang out - they'll be able
    >to give you a better answer to your question.

    Well done! Applause, applause.

    --
    But the Bush apologists hope that you won't remember all that. And they
    also have a theory, which I've been hearing more and more - namely,

    (Paul Krugman - Addicted to Bush)
    Kenny McCormack, Oct 13, 2011
  11. On Oct 13, 10:12 am, (Bradley K. Sherman) wrote:
    > > Sad news.  Rob Pike reports on Google Plus that Dennis Ritchie
    > > died at his home this weekend after a long illness.  Ritchie
    > > created the C programming language and was a key contributor
    > > to Unix.  In 1983 he received the Turing Award with his long
    > > time colleague Ken Thompson for the development of operating
    > > systems theory and the implementation of the UNIX.  He was
    > > elected to the National Academy of Engineering in 1988.

    >     --bks

    Dennis Ritchie created the best programming language.

    Thanks and Goodbye
    lovecreatesbeauty, Oct 13, 2011
  12. Bradley K. Sherman

    Gary Guest

    On 10/13/2011 9:55 AM, lovecreatesbeauty wrote:

    > Dennis Ritchie created the best programming language.

    ....I didn't know he created lisp.
    Gary, Oct 13, 2011
  13. Bradley K. Sherman

    Stefan Ram Guest

    lovecreatesbeauty <> writes:
    >Dennis Ritchie created the best programming language.

    »=head2 What language is Parrot written in?

    C.

    =head2 For the love of God, man, why?!?!?!?

    Because it's the best we've got.«

    http://www.davidcole.net/msie/notes/ipl/perl/jul13/parrot/parrot-0.0.4/docs/faq.pod

    »Here's the thing: C is everywhere. Recently Tim Bray made
    basically the same point; all the major operating systems,
    all the high-level language runtimes, all the databases,
    and all major productivity applications are written in C.«

    http://girtby.net/archives/2008/08/23/in-defence-of-c/

    »According to the TIOBE index, the C programming
    language is the most popular language in April 2010.«

    http://www.geeks3d.com/20100413/tiobe-index-c-language-back-at-number-1-position/
    Stefan Ram, Oct 13, 2011
  14. Bradley K. Sherman

    Phil Carmody Guest

    (Bradley K. Sherman) writes:
    > > Sad news. Rob Pike reports on Google Plus that Dennis Ritchie
    > > died at his home this weekend after a long illness. Ritchie
    > > created the C programming language and was a key contributor
    > > to Unix. In 1983 he received the Turing Award with his long
    > > time colleague Ken Thompson for the development of operating
    > > systems theory and the implementation of the UNIX. He was
    > > elected to the National Academy of Engineering in 1988.

    Pretty much everyone cited as being important in the
    computer business nowadays owes much of that to DMR and
    those he worked closely with.

    A sad loss now, but summed over 70 years the nett gain
    was immeasurable.

    Phil
    --
    "Religion is what keeps the poor from murdering the rich."
    -- Napoleon
    Phil Carmody, Oct 13, 2011
  15. Bradley K. Sherman

    Weifu Guest

    Sad. C is not used so much now, but once I needed, it never fails me. Thanks DMR. RIP.
    Weifu, Oct 14, 2011
  16. disagree.

    Mike Manilone, Oct 14, 2011
  17. Bradley K. Sherman

    Jorgen Grahn Guest

    On Fri, 2011-10-14, Weifu wrote:
    > Sad. C is not used so much now,

    It is one of the most used languages. I work with it all day, and have
    done so for fifteen years. And when I don't, I work with C++, which
    wouldn't have been viable without C.

    > Thanks DMR. RIP.

    Yes, thanks.

    /Jorgen

    --
    // Jorgen Grahn <grahn@ Oo o. . .
    \X/ snipabacken.se> O o .
    Jorgen Grahn, Oct 14, 2011
  18. Bradley K. Sherman

    sbalneav Guest

    sbalneav, Oct 14, 2011
  19. On Oct 13, 9:32 pm, tea strainer <> wrote:
    > Bradley K. Sherman writes:
    > >> Sad news.  Rob Pike reports on Google Plus that Dennis Ritchie died at
    > >> his home this weekend after a long illness.  Ritchie created the C
    > >> programming language and was a key contributor to Unix.  In 1983 he
    > >> received the Turing Award with his long time colleague Ken Thompson for
    > >> the development of operating systems theory and the implementation of
    > >> the UNIX.  He was elected to the National Academy of Engineering in
    > >> 1988.

    > You're off-topic here. This group discusses the C language. Try asking
    > over at soc.history.science where the experts hang out - they'll be able
    > to give you a better answer to your question.

    Come on!!! If it wasn't for him, this group wouldn't even exist...
    Anoop Kammaran, Oct 14, 2011
  20. Bradley K. Sherman

    Noob Guest

    Noob, Oct 14, 2011