deploying asp.net

Guest

hey all,
i'm using XCOPY to deploy to files to production. 1 copies (the .dll) and
the other one doesn't(default.aspx)

it says access denied on the latter one. I've assigned NETWORK SERVICE
account modify and write permissions on the application root folder. Why does
one copy and the other doesn't?

thanks,
rodchar

Scott Allen

What about the account you are logged in with? I'm assuming you are
doing the XCOPY and the OS is telling you that access is denied to
you.

Another idea: could the file be locked somehow?

Guest

that was it. the file was locked and the server just needed to be rebooted.
thanks this helped a lot,
rodchar

Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP]

It's a good idea to shut down the Web before copying new files. If someone
happens to hit the site while the copy is in progress, a DLL can become
locked.