deploying multiple instances of same application (.war file) on tomcat 5.5

julie.iammarino

We have a web application running on tomcat 5.5 that works fine when
deployed independently. However, we would like to deploy multiple
instances of the same application on the same server. We have built a
new war file of the same application with a different name including a
new context file for the application. This new war file also runs fine
independently but, when deployed along with the original application,
generates a Java Heap Space error.

Is there a special way to deploy multiple instances of the same
application on the same server using Tomcat?

Please help us! Thank you!!!

Andrea Desole

We have a web application running on tomcat 5.5 that works fine when
deployed independently. However, we would like to deploy multiple
instances of the same application on the same server. We have built a
new war file of the same application with a different name including a
new context file for the application. This new war file also runs fine
independently but, when deployed along with the original application,
generates a Java Heap Space error.

You mean you run out of memory? That's strange
Is there a special way to deploy multiple instances of the same
application on the same server using Tomcat?

I haven't really used 5.5, but I don't think so. What you did sounds
fine. Are you sure your code is correct? You don't do anything special
with class loaders, do you? Do you use external resources? Maybe
something happens when the two applications are accessing, for example,
the same database.
There are a lot of options that don't involve tomcat.
You should probably use a profiler

julie.iammarino

Hi! Thank you for your response.

We aren't doing anything special with class loaders, and the code is
exactly the same in both instances except for the name of the
datasource and which database the apps are connecting to.

We are going to try to use the NetBeans profiler. Thanks for your
suggestion!