Deploying Servlets in virtual host / virtual filesystem environment

Discussion in 'Java' started by while_1, Jun 25, 2004.

  1. while_1

    while_1 Guest

    I'm an experienced tomcat-servlet programmer, but
    only in an environment where I have root access to
    the local server, where war files are copied to
    $JAKARTA_HOME/webapps and then started individually
    with the system's manager servlet.

    I want to deploy some of my own work (from that environment)
    on a shared host virtual filesystem setup--on a
    small-scale commercial hosting machine. There the setup is
    different and the local host provider doesn't
    seem to know much about tomcat.

    There is a WEB-INF directory inside the virtual document root.
    But deploying a typical web.xml file there and trying
    to reference it with http://that_domain:8080/myservlet
    doesn't work.

    I've spent several hours trying to find tomcat virtual
    host information with Google, but got no where fast.

    Is there a standard virtual-domain, virtual-filesystem
    way of setting up and deploying tomcat servlets?
    Does anyone know of a url to useful documentation?
    while_1, Jun 25, 2004

  2. while_1

    Bryce Guest

    On 25 Jun 2004 06:17:44 -0700,
    (while_1) wrote:

    >I'm an experienced tomcat-servlet programmer, but
    >only in an environment where I have root access to
    >the local server, where war files are copied to
    >$JAKARTA_HOME/webapps and then started individually
    >with the system's manager servlet.
    >
    >I want to deploy some of my own work (from that environment)
    >on a shared host virtual filesystem setup--on a
    >small-scale commercial hosting machine. There the setup is
    >different and the local host provider doesn't
    >seem to know much about tomcat.

    Find another hosting provider...

    You can also include an xml file that goes into the webapps root
    directory. It looks like this:

    <context path="url path" docBase="path to web app's root">
    // stuff in here
    </context>

    >There is a WEB-INF directory inside the virtual document root.
    >But deploying a typical web.xml file there and trying
    >to reference it with http://that_domain:8080/myservlet
    >doesn't work.

    This is different. What version of Tomcat?

    And "doesn't work" is kind of vague. What's the error?

    Does the context "myservlet" point to your virtual document root? How
    are you defining your servlet in the web.xml file?

    >I've spent several hours trying to find tomcat virtual
    >host information with Google, but got no where fast.
    >
    >Is there a standard virtual-domain, virtual-filesystem
    >way of setting up and deploying tomcat servlets?
    >Does anyone know of a url to useful documentation?

    standard way is to define contexts either the way I described above or
    in the <tomcat_home>/conf/server.xml. By default, Tomcat looks in its
    webapps directory. Each folder or war file represents a seperate web
    application.

    --
    now with more cowbell
    Bryce, Jun 25, 2004