    hi, does anybody use tools other than vs.net to make installation media of
    asp.net application?

    thanks in advance.

    Edward, May 27, 2004

  2. Edward

    Carlton858 Guest

    > hi, does anybody use tools other than vs.net to make installation media of
    > asp.net application?
    >
    > thanks in advance.

    Inno Installer. It is an AWESOME piece of software and, of course, free.

    http://www.jrsoftware.org/isinfo.php

    Carlton

    Carlton858, May 27, 2004

  3. Edward

    Edward Zhong Guest

    does Inno provide APIs like Register IIS directory and SQL server db
    creation ?

    Edward Zhong, May 28, 2004
  4. Edward

    Carlton858 Guest

    > does Inno provide APIs like Register IIS directory and SQL server db
    > creation ?

    Not sure since I have not automated the creation of IIS virtual
    directories and SQL Server DB creation through Inno. I seem to
    remember that Inno will execute files for you since I have used Inno
    to register DLL and OCX files for an ASP app. I primarily use Inno to
    deploy the files and create the directory structure - my database
    deployment is 99% automated and I still create IIS stuff by hand (it
    is pretty easy).

    However, VS.Net is not the only way to deploy a site. I have
    automated the creation of my database objects through SQL scripts (SQL
    server provides an option to script the database creation) with *.bat
    files. As for creation of IIS virtual directories, I believe that
    all you need to do there is write a VBScript file that does this. Is
    this hard? I don't know since I have not done that yet, but I don't
    think so because I know there are scripts on the Internet you can
    steal. You just have to save somethings for the next project.

    Carlton

    Carlton858, May 28, 2004
  5. Edward

    Edward Zhong Guest

    Thanks , Carton.

    I studied some starter kits of Asp.Net , all is with the postfix ".msi".

    Maybe I should check some API of IIS creation .

    If I find some solution, I will notify you.

    Edward

    Edward Zhong, May 29, 2004