Deriving from built-in DataGrid control

Axel Dahmen

I've created a class in a .NET 1.1 C# class library project deriving from
System.Web.UI.WebControls.DataGrid. When I try to use this class in my .aspx
page, I get loads of parser warnings in the Task pane telling me that e.g.
<HeaderStyle> is not supported by the active schema. This is true for any
DataGrid "sub control" I'm using.

Is there an easy way to get rid of these warnings?

TIA,
Axel Dahmen

------------
This is my class:

public class SortingDataGrid : System.Web.UI.WebControls.DataGrid

------------
This is what I've added to the .aspx page (HeaderStyle and PagerStyle are
underlined in red):

<%@ Register TagPrefix="exc" Namespace="Common.Controls" Assembly="Common"
%>

<exc:SortingDataGrid Runat="server" ID="grdTemp" ...>
<HeaderStyle .../>
<PagerStyle .../>
<exc:SortingDataGrid/>

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Axel,

Welcome to the ASPNET newsgroup.

Regarding on the custom webcontrol, I think the warning you encountered in
IDE is the design-time xml schema warning. As for VS IDE it will validate
the control's markup in the aspx file. And for built-in controls, there has
built-in schemas associated with them( for vs 2003, it is stored in the
following localtion:
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET
2003\Common7\Packages\schemas\xml
)

And for our custom controls, since there is no schema associated with them,
IDE will failed to validate the markup and report some warning. You can
just ignore it since that doesn't affect runtime behavior. However, if you
do want to add design-time support on the schema for custom control, you
can have a look at the following msdn article which discussing on
design-time support for custom web server controls:

#Adding Design-Time Support to ASP.NET Controls
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/dnaspp/html/ASPNet-AddDesignTimeSupp
ort.asp?frame=true

Hope this helps.

Regards,