Design and other stuff

Guest

Hi,

I've built a few small apps in asp.net (vb.net). But I am not sure if I am
doing things according to best practice, even though the apps work well etc.

I have some questions which I hope some people have opinions on..

1: I have started using FlowLayout on the webforms so as to handle the
different screen sizes\resolutions. How do you layout the page, I am using
html tables which is cumbersome, is there a better way? How do you position
the controls around a page using FlowLayout without using HTML Tables?

2: I have a class which is used to return sqldatareaders, should I used
datasets or dataviews instead?

3: What do you use to keep a consistent look and feel on each of the many
webforms in the app. I know asp.net 2.0 has Master\Content pages which sounds
great but what do you currenty use? Usercontrols?

Thanks

S. Justin Gengo

NH,

Here are my thoughts:
1: I have started using FlowLayout on the webforms so as to handle the
different screen sizes\resolutions. How do you layout the page, I am using
html tables which is cumbersome, is there a better way? How do you
position
the controls around a page using FlowLayout without using HTML Tables?

I use html tables most of the time. (ASP.NET 2.0 is set to flow layout
by default). We're supposed to be using CSS to handle this. It works well,
but I have to support people who are on some older browsers so most of the
time I still use tables (for now).
2: I have a class which is used to return sqldatareaders, should I used
datasets or dataviews instead?

If all you need to do is get the data for display then a SqlDataReader
is the most efficient way to do that.
3: What do you use to keep a consistent look and feel on each of the many
webforms in the app. I know asp.net 2.0 has Master\Content pages which
sounds
great but what do you currenty use? Usercontrols?

My first experiment, which you may see at www.aboutfortunate.com, uses a
single page with user controls placed on the page dynamically. If I had it
to do over again I would have triggered each control load with a query
string instead of an ASP.NET button because google can't search the site. I
was about to implement a workaround but instead I'm using ASP.NET 2.0 to
rebuild instead.

--
Sincerely,

S. Justin Gengo, MCP
Web Developer / Programmer

www.aboutfortunate.com

"Out of chaos comes order."
Nietzsche

Guest

Thanks for the reply, sounds like I am doing things pretty much the way you
are. Like yourself I am waiting for asp.net 2 which sounds like its going to
make things easier.

Eliyahu Goldin

1. Html tables is fine.
2. If you need a simple read-only access, it is fine.
3. Copy, Paste and wait for better technology. Master pages should make it
less boring.

Eliyahu