Design/Practices question...

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by groups.james@gmail.com, Dec 1, 2006.

  1. Guest

    I have basically inherited an old classic ASP 3.0 application.
    Overall it's design was a n-tier design (not always adhered to...)

    VB6 COM objects for the Business Layer - hosted in COM+
    VB6 COM objects for the Data Layer - hosted in COM+
    ASP/HTML for Presentation Layer

    It utilizes a SQL Server 2000 backend and makes a pretty strong use of
    Transactions with COM+

    My question is this, I'm tasked with migrating this application to
    ASP.NET 2.0.
    I can stumble around and determine the best ways to make certain
    changes, utilize master pages when neccessary etc. I want to know
    about hosting my business objects in COM+ and Transactions. What is
    the ASP.NET 2.0/.NET Framework equivalent of COM+ business objects and
    transactions? Is it simply using the new System.Transactions
    namespace? Is this something that is even still required to have a
    scalable web application? I have glanced around an have yet to find
    anything definitive...None of the books suggest placing business
    objects in COM+ (utilizing System.EnterpriseServices...) for a web app
    in .NET 2.0. Any guidance here would be appreciated...

    James

    , Dec 1, 2006

  2. We use .NET remoting for the Business and Data access layers.

    The move seems to be towards Web Services; but I'm a bit wary of that on
    security grounds. My worries may be unfounded though. I haven't done
    enough research to determine the extent of any risk - because we already
    have a system that works with no pressing, immediate need to change.

    With WCF, you'll be able to adopt an SOA approach and make decisions between
    different remoting environments at deployment time. That's the current
    hype, anyway.

    Peter

    Peter Bradley, Dec 1, 2006

  3. Hi,

    Peter Bradley wrote:
    > We use .NET remoting for the Business and Data access layers.
    >
    > The move seems to be towards Web Services; but I'm a bit wary of that on
    > security grounds. My worries may be unfounded though. I haven't done
    > enough research to determine the extent of any risk - because we already
    > have a system that works with no pressing, immediate need to change.

    You can use SSL with web services, so that the traffic is encrypted.
    However, the main inconvenience of web service towards WCF/Remoting is
    that it's slow. The objects are transmitted is SOAP, so they must be
    serialized in XML, the objects are wrapped (SOAP is an envelope), and
    the whole thing is transmitted as text.

    On the plus side, you don't have to worry about firewalls... but then
    again, Remoting can also work over HTTP.

    I don't think web services are really intended as a replacement for
    remoting services, much more as a complement.

    Greetings,
    Laurent

    --
    Laurent Bugnion, GalaSoft