Design/Practices question...

groups.james

I have basically inherited an old classic ASP 3.0 application.
Overall it's design was a n-tier design (not always adhered to...)

VB6 COM objects for the Business Layer - hosted in COM+
VB6 COM objects for the Data Layer - hosted in COM+
ASP/HTML for Presentation Layer

It utilizes a SQL Server 2000 backend and makes a pretty strong use of
Transactions with COM+

My question is this, I'm tasked with migrating this application to
ASP.NET 2.0.
I can stumble around and determine the best ways to make certain
changes, utilize master pages when neccessary etc. I want to know
about hosting my business objects in COM+ and Transactions. What is
the ASP.NET 2.0/.NET Framework equivalent of COM+ business objects and
transactions? Is it simply using the new System.Transactions
namespace? Is this something that is even still required to have a
scalable web application? I have glanced around an have yet to find
anything definitive...None of the books suggest placing business
objects in COM+ (utilizing System.EnterpriseServices...) for a web app
in .NET 2.0. Any guidance here would be appreciated...

James

Peter Bradley

We use .NET remoting for the Business and Data access layers.

The move seems to be towards Web Services; but I'm a bit wary of that on
security grounds. My worries may be unfounded though. I haven't done
enough research to determine the extent of any risk - because we already
have a system that works with no pressing, immediate need to change.

With WCF, you'll be able to adopt an SOA approach and make decisions between
different remoting environments at deployment time. That's the current
hype, anyway.

Peter

Laurent Bugnion

Hi,

Peter said:
We use .NET remoting for the Business and Data access layers.

The move seems to be towards Web Services; but I'm a bit wary of that on
security grounds. My worries may be unfounded though. I haven't done
enough research to determine the extent of any risk - because we already
have a system that works with no pressing, immediate need to change.

You can use SSL with web services, so that the traffic is encrypted.
However, the main inconvenience of web service towards WCF/Remoting is
that it's slow. The objects are transmitted is SOAP, so they must be
serialized in XML, the objects are wrapped (SOAP is an envelope), and
the whole thing is transmitted as text.

On the plus side, you don't have to worry about firewalls... but then
again, Remoting can also work over HTTP.

I don't think web services are really intended as a replacement for
remoting services, much more as a complement.

Greetings,
Laurent