design-time datagrid template column with findcontrol capability

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by =?Utf-8?B?Qkc=?=, Dec 27, 2004.

  1. i am thinking that creating datagrid at design time will save me a lot of
    time when creating programs. however, i ran into a brick wall.

    i created a template column at design time. i learned that i have to use
    itemplate interface to bind my custom data. within the itemplate column, it
    displays my custom data properly everything works. except that i cannot use
    the datagridcommandeventargs.item.findcontrol("//asp:label within datagrid")
    with a buttoncolumn which i use a lot with runtime datagrid. again, the data
    from templatecolumn displays and the buttoncolumn works. the buttoncolumn
    reacts but it just can't pickup the data from the datagridcommandeventargs.

    i have used a literal control that basically writes the following code
    within the iTemplate interface:

    literalcontrol.text = "<asp:label id='lbl1'
    text='....dataitem...'>...dataitem...</asp:label>";

    any ideas on how to achieve findcontrol-like technique to reference the data
    within the active row? it doesn't have to be findcontrol as long as i can
    get the data within the selected row.

    thanks in advance,
    bg

    =?Utf-8?B?Qkc=?=, Dec 27, 2004