Desperate help...

JemPower

Hi all,

I don't know if this is the right newsgroup or not, but an answer would be
appreciated.

I have a client who has is 'requesting' that we write a program for him that
allows him to record a message via his microphone on a webpage, the
recording then saved on a SQL server (or a WAV file on our server with the
path held on the server, whichever is easier!!), WITHOUT any user
interaction interms of uploading the file.

So in short...
Open webpage
Click on record button
Speak into microphone
Click stop button
Click save button
The user does NOTHING ELSE
The user goes to another page
Clicks on play button
Message is played

Media player doesn't have the facility to record, the only application I
know that would come as standard is Windows sound recorder, but can this be
embedded or does anyone know how to do something like this.

I'm really tearing my hear out with this one!!!

Kevin Spencer

You have correctly identified the crux of the problem, and that is, how do
you record sound in a web page? The answer is, you need to embed an
application in the web page that will record the sound, and upload the
resulting WAV file to the server. Depending on the target browser platform,
this means that you will need to write a .Net Windows Form (IE only), an
ActiveX Control (IE Only), or a Java Applet.

--
HTH,

Kevin Spencer
Microsoft MVP
..Net Developer
http://www.takempis.com
Big Things are made up of
Lots of Little Things.

Rajesh.V

May be i am sounding off but this could be a solution.

1. Put the windows multimedia activex control in a windows user control.
2. In the user control put start and stop button which will interact with
the activex and store the recordings on the
local disk.
3. On Play button it will pick from this location and play it back.
4. You would need full trust in the security settings for the control at the
client pc.
5. Client would also have to use i.e. 6 and os should be same as ur dev
machine. as win media control ships with the os and ver depends on that.

I am assuming the recorded file has to be save on the clients computer
instead of the webserver.

If its to be saved in the webserver, then u wud have to write an inproc
server and by tcp/ip the user control will pump in the saved recording.
Playing it back wud be simple as putting an href. Ofcourse each recording
would have to be tagged and put into the db, each time it happens for u to
output an report of href to the wav file.