detect pdf properties using javascript, possible?

mscir

I would like to generate a page of links including some of the pdf
properties (title, author, version, etc.) for a folder full of pdf's.
Is this possible from Javascript?

TIA,
Mike

Grant Wagner

mscir said:
I would like to generate a page of links including some of the pdf
properties (title, author, version, etc.) for a folder full of pdf's.
Is this possible from Javascript?

TIA,
Mike

Only if you are talking about JavaScript running under the Netscape (Sun
ONE) Enterprise Web server (and possibly other Web servers) or JScript
running under IIS (and possibly other Web servers).

If you mean client-side JavaScript running in a Web browser in the
default security environment without any help from the server, no, it can
not be done in JavaScript.

--
| Grant Wagner <[email protected]>

*

*

mscir

Grant Wagner said:
Only if you are talking about JavaScript running under the Netscape (Sun
ONE) Enterprise Web server (and possibly other Web servers) or JScript
running under IIS (and possibly other Web servers).

If you mean client-side JavaScript running in a Web browser in the
default security environment without any help from the server, no, it can
not be done in JavaScript.
| Grant Wagner <[email protected]>

Yes, javascript under IIS/ASP. I'm looking around with google for a
component but no luck so far.

Thanks,
Mike

Grant Wagner

mscir said:
Yes, javascript under IIS/ASP. I'm looking around with google for a
component but no luck so far.

Thanks,
Mike

I'll assume you already know how to read the contents of a directory and
display links to the file names. If you don't know how to do that, get that
working first.

As for the component of which you speak, you're right, a few searches didn't
turn up anything. However, I guess if I had to do this, I'd start at: <url:
http://partners.adobe.com/asn/tech/pdf/specifications.jsp />

Once you know the format of the PDF file (which doesn't appear to be all that
complicated), it should be a relatively simple matter to obtain the information
you need. Section 10.2 contains information about the Metadata, where it is
located, and how it is structured. It appears you'll also need to read the
sections on understanding the "document information dictionary" and "metadata
stream".

The other alternative I found was to let the IIS Index Server index the
documents, then query it for the information you require. An example of that
(complete with code for ASP.NET) is here: <url
http://forums.aspfree.com/t19740/s.html />.