Determining OS

Barbara de Zoete

For instance, a visitor is using IE and due to the peculiarities of IE, you
might have a page written just for them, where the same page would not work
in netscape.

That would be a case of very bad coding starting with a very bad design concept.
But then again, what else is new with you.

Travis Newbury

Barbara said:
Wooh, wow. I wonder who loses the most ;-)
As others pointed out my 'doesn't' in 'So I use Opera as my main
browser, doesn't allow ...' should have been don't. Opera gives me the
choice to easily enable or disable all that stuff. I choose to disable it.

See that's the great thing about a free market, You think you are
winning because you made the decision to use opera and have everything
turned off, and you feel good. The company likes the numbers they are
seeing from their web site so they think they are winning.

Ike

Barbara de Zoete said:
Please, do not toppost. Corrected this once.

Oh, wow. So I use Opera as my main browser, doesn't allow Java, Java-applet,
JavaScript, and certainly not any other active content. It does run on a
WindowsXP machine, so I get (re)directed to a page that does not work at all.
Nice punishment for not having switched to a decent OS. Thank you very much :p

No, you;d be redirected to the download's page. -Ike

Ike

Oli Filth said:
Would it not make more sense to perform the OS check within the Java
applet (e.g. using System.getProperty("os.name") or whatever), and not
the containing page?

Yep......You're right. Thank YOu! -Ike

Arthur P.

I've been watching this newsgroup for a few days now and getting some great
HTML hints and tips but this Barbara is a case. The most arrogant person
I've met in a long while. Does she own group or pretends she does ?

Arthur

rf

Arthur P. said:
I've been watching this newsgroup for a few days now and getting some
great

Ah, then you would have determined that top posting is not the norm here.
HTML hints and tips but this Barbara is a case. The most arrogant person
I've met in a long while. Does she own group or pretends she does ?

The regulation lurking period is more then "a few days".

Barbara was talking to RtS. After you have lurked here for a while longer
you will discover that Barbara has intelligence whereas RtS does not.

In any case what business is it of yours how Barbara posts? Your post could
be seen to be just arrogant as any that Barbara has made.

Arthur P.

Right. Okay another one to ignore. Believe me Barbara seems to be a legend
only in her own mind.

Arthur

Arthur P.

Well I won't bothering sharing that this top-posting rule is a silly one.
Woops wait I just shared. Anyhow back to being a reader.

Arthur

Barbara de Zoete

David Dorward

Arthur said:
Well I won't bothering sharing that this top-posting rule is a silly one.

Man walks into a bar, insults regular then claims the bars conventions are
silly and refuses to follow them. Gets plonked.

Barbara de Zoete

In any case what business is it of yours how Barbara posts? Your post could
be seen to be just arrogant as any that Barbara has made.

Hèhèh, I kind of like you last sentence in this post :-D . Especially the
ambiguity in 'as any that Barbara has made'.

Travis Newbury

Arthur said:
Well I won't bothering sharing that this top-posting rule is a silly one.
Woops wait I just shared. Anyhow back to being a reader.

Hey Arthur, when in Rome do as the Romans do. If you continue to top
post, what you will accomplish is the regulars (you know the ones that
know all the right answers) will killfile you. Then the only answers
you get will be from people like me.

So top post if you must. But eventually you will change, or just not be
heard by anyone that can answer your question. Your choice.

mscir

Travis said:
Hey Arthur, when in Rome do as the Romans do. If you continue to top
post, what you will accomplish is the regulars (you know the ones that
know all the right answers) will killfile you. Then the only answers
you get will be from people like me.

So top post if you must. But eventually you will change, or just not be
heard by anyone that can answer your question. Your choice.

Well said!

rf

Travis Newbury said:
Then the only answers you get will be from people like me.

Er, I dunno. Some of your answers are getting real good :)
So top post if you must. But eventually you will change, or just not be
heard by anyone that can answer your question. Your choice.

I wouldn't worry Travis. Probably just a passing troll.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

open the front cover and begin reading there?
the back cover and end up at the front or do you
chapter one or do you start somewhere near
When reading a book, do you start at
Well I won't bothering sharing that this top-posting rule is a
silly one. Woops wait I just shared. Anyhow back to being a reader.

I read somewhere (can't find link at the moment) where it was stated
that top-posting began when Outlook Express decided it wanted to be a
newsreader. The default location of the insertion point was at the top
and newbies didn't know they could/should press the PageDown key.

Blinky the Shark

Beauregard said:
open the front cover and begin reading there?
the back cover and end up at the front or do you
chapter one or do you start somewhere near
When reading a book, do you start at
I read somewhere (can't find link at the moment) where it was stated
that top-posting began when Outlook Express decided it wanted to be a
newsreader. The default location of the insertion point was at the top
and newbies didn't know they could/should press the PageDown key.

<question class="rhetorical">Have I posted this lately?</question>

http://blinkynet.net/comp/toppost.html

Uncle Pirate

Arthur said:
Well I won't bothering sharing that this top-posting rule is a silly one.
Woops wait I just shared. Anyhow back to being a reader.

That's ok. I'm probably not the only one not going to read any more of
your drivel.

Plonk.

Coordinator, Tularosa Basin Chapter, ABATE of NM; AMA#758681; COBB
'94 1500 Vulcan (now wrecked) :( http://motorcyclefun.org/Dcp_2068c.jpg