Determining Processor Vender

aha

Dose anyone know of a cross-platform method for determining the vendor
of a processor? Under linux I can check /proc/cpuinfo. What I'd like
to be able to do is determine if a processor is AMD or Intel, so that
I can use the appropriate numerical libraries for my application.

Regards,

Aquil

aha

Dose anyone know of a cross-platform method for determining the vendor
of a processor?  Under linux I can check /proc/cpuinfo.  What I'd like
to be able to do is determine if a processor is AMD or Intel, so that
I can use the appropriate numerical libraries for my application.

Regards,

Aquil

Additionally, I've tried the platform module...platform.processor() on
my 64-bit AMD system, under Linux, returns x86_64. And under windows
retruns an empty string ''

John Machin

Additionally, I've tried the platform module...platform.processor() on
my 64-bit AMD system, under Linux, returns x86_64.  And under windows
retruns an empty string ''

This may help with Windows. My setup: (XP SP 2), Python 2.5.2. The
chip is an AMD Turion Mobile which is 64-bit but is running 32-bit
Windows.
{'NUMBER_OF_PROCESSORS': '1',
'PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE': 'x86',
'PROCESSOR_IDENTIFIER': 'x86 Family 15 Model 36 Stepping 2,
AuthenticAMD',
'PROCESSOR_LEVEL': '15',
'PROCESSOR_REVISION': '2402'}
Cheers,
John

Tim Roberts

aha said:
Dose anyone know of a cross-platform method for determining the vendor
of a processor? Under linux I can check /proc/cpuinfo. What I'd like
to be able to do is determine if a processor is AMD or Intel, so that
I can use the appropriate numerical libraries for my application.

If you have a numerical library that uses processor-specific instructions,
then the library must be in C with assembler. If so, just add another
function that does a "cpuid" instruction and return the results.